CLK Compressor 16 inch or 17 inch wheels

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

A.langton

HELP!!!

I have a clk compressor sport 1999. when I bought it the garage put 17 inch wheels and tyres on. The makers recommendation was 16 inch.

I have had 2 dramatic blow outs on car and was told to get the 16 inch put back on. Which I did.

I have been told that to accomodate for 17 inch that the suspension needs to be raised on the vehicle costing £7000 as the front suspension bolt on the front there is not much clearance at the best of times, so to put a 17 inch wheel on would been a factor to the blow outs.

Any technical person out there that can help me on this would be fab.
The 17 inch spec was

RE4 7517511235 7.5x17 RE4 5x112 ET35
225/45R17 90H NS1sport

Thanks

what was the size of the 16inch wheels and tyres ?

when going up a wheel size, you need to lower the profile of the tyre in order to keep the 'rolling diameter' the same, to avoid fouling on things and messing up your speedo reading.....

I hope £7000 is a mis type ! no way can it cost that much, i think someone is taking you for a ride !

My father runs 19"'s on his CLK with no problems at all, and i know guys on here who run 17's and 18's on their CLK's with no ill effects

someone on this forum will know.....

I run 18" AMG's with 255 x 35 tyres on my 320 CLK with no mods required to fit.

Somone is having a laugh with you. you car should take 17's no problem at all

Gunny

You should not be experiencing any problems with 17" alloys on your car at all - also the tyre spec seems ok as well.

For best ride confort and big alloys 17" is the one to go for.

Have you got factory sports suspension/is your an Avantgarde?

Speak to MB Tech Support - free fone no. (00800 17777777) who can verify this for you - 17" alloys should go on no problem. You will need ur vin/chassis no to hand.

Flash

A.langton said:
HELP!!!

I have a clk compressor sport 1999. when I bought it the garage put 17 inch wheels and tyres on. The makers recommendation was 16 inch.

I have had 2 dramatic blow outs on car and was told to get the 16 inch put back on. Which I did.

I have been told that to accomodate for 17 inch that the suspension needs to be raised on the vehicle costing £7000 as the front suspension bolt on the front there is not much clearance at the best of times, so to put a 17 inch wheel on would been a factor to the blow outs.

Any technical person out there that can help me on this would be fab.
The 17 inch spec was

RE4 7517511235 7.5x17 RE4 5x112 ET35
225/45R17 90H NS1sport

Thanks

I'll do it for ONLY £6500 ;)

............of course your car can have 17inch wheels!

Hi everyone!
I have seen some pictures of Angela's CLK.
The 16" tyre size fitted was 215/55R16. All the Mercedes tech info says they should have 205/55R16 tyres fitted. Does anyone else run 215/55R16 on C/CLK/SLK?
The other thing is that although 17" are absolutely fine for the CLK, the MB Tech say that sporty suspension tuning code 488 may be required. Does this increase any clearance between inside tyre edge and the suspension arms/bolts? I think NOT.. maybe to encourage the owner to spend more on lowering/stiffening the car.
Anyone know what code 488 entails?

Last edited:
I believe that on the clk you could order advantgarde suspension on an elegance model. I think it was simply different springs and shocks to firm up the ride and lower the car about 30mm.

Murray Systems said:
Hi everyone!
I have seen some pictures of Angela's CLK.
The 16" tyre size fitted was 215/55R16. All the Mercedes tech info says they should have 205/55R16 tyres fitted. Does anyone else run 215/55R16 on C/CLK/SLK?
The other thing is that although 17" are absolutely fine for the CLK, the MB Tech say that sporty suspension tuning code 488 may be required. Does this increase any clearance between inside tyre edge and the suspension arms/bolts? I think NOT.. maybe to encourage the owner to spend more on lowering/stiffening the car.
Anyone know what code 488 entails?

Code 488 was a no cost option on the Elegance model only. The Avantgarde had it already. All it is is a lowering of the car by approx 15mm with slightly stiffer springs. I had it on my very first CLK.

On the W203 the "sports suspension" option sits a little lower then the standard Avantgarde suspension on both pre-face lift/face lift. I have factory Sports suspension on my car.

Flash

On the W202 there are 3 different types of shock and two general types of spring, standard or sport. Will probably be the same for the 208 CLK, I will check this later.

Your tyre size,225/45/17, for the 17's is correct for that car as well as the off set,You should have no problems at all.My CLK is lowered on 20's and i have not had any problems at all with it.The 215/55/16 would be a too large profile for the clk,you could use a 225/50/16 as that is the same radius as a 205/55/16.

Hi Guys

Thanks for the fantastic feedback. I have a major court case with this vehicle. Chris at Murrays was fantastic but blew me away a bit with the technical stuff!

I have sent my car back to the finance company today, and given up the ghost. These tyres and wheels were supplied by a reputable garage, I was told by another reputable garage that the tyres 90h, were not the right speck for this model of car and got them changed. The worst thing about all this is the garage who originally put the 17 inch took them of, and believe it or not they were not genuine mercedes wheels, have now replaced with the 16 inch! I am now completley confused. Mercedes have told me quote "7.5 x 17 ET 37 and tyres 225/45 are acceptable." Shame that mercedes did not fit mercedes wheels in the first instance instead of cheap copies which incidetally for four wheels and tyres cost £646.25 fully inclusive, if that is actaully what i got. The garage in question has cleverly disposed of the wheels and tyres. I am taking them to court! All I wanted was to drive my fantastic car. I had an independent look at it I have the report. As it is a court case can't mention the garage in question. Maybe next time I will take a man to buy my car!!

Thanks for that called them late last night asked to call back today so I will get in touch with them.

A.langton said:
Maybe next time I will take a man to buy my car!!
Next time you go to check out a car, ask on the forum first to see if an enthusiast is nearby! :)

I just checked, the W208 appears to have only one general kind of spring and two different kinds of shock, not including factory or accessory AMG parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom