Clk convertible exterior plastic trim restoration

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Clk320dj

Car
2000 Clk320 C280
Hi, first post thanks for reading.

I have just picked up a 2000 Clk320 c208 and I'm wondering of anyone has restored the plastic trim that the rear of the roof hood seals to? Mine is sun damaged and looks pretty poor when the roof is down as the part that's exposed is grey and the part that's not is a nice glossy black.

I've tried a little t-cut but I'm thinking it needs something a little stronger without ruining the trim.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
David

Something like "back to black" from Autoglym?

I use that on the Nissan because, after almost 30 years, a lot of the trim is quite faded and sun damaged.

Hi and welcome.
If you're really brave and careful, the best way in my opinion is to apply a bit of heat with a heat gun. I'm not talking about melting the stuff but it's a case of teasing the heat on the plastic and you'll see how it is transformed to dark, shiny and new without applying any products that will have to be reapplied in a few days, weeks or months. :)

Gtechniq C4

The plastic trim must be spotlessly clean, so you are going to want to get a decent APC and some alcohol based cleaner.
Gtechniq C4 Permanent Trim Restorer | C4-15

Hi Thanks for the responses the Gtechniq looks impressive.
I've got a heat gun so will do Edd suggested first to see if i can get a result with that. I've used back to black when I was on the tools and i was never that impressed with its longevity and I'm not sure how it performed on High gloss finishes.
0Pxhgs2b.jpg

4ppW3PPb.jpg

I'll let you know how it get on.

thanks

Last edited:
Hi Thanks for the responses the Gtechniq looks impressive.
I've got a heat gun so will do Edd suggested first to see if i can get a result with that. I've used back to black when I was on the tools and i was never that impressed with its longevity and I'm not sure how it performed on High gloss finishes.

I'll let you know how it get on.

thanks
Yeah, back to black normally lasts until the next rain storm or wash lol. Be careful with the heat gun though, its very possible to either ruin the plastic, or the paint surrounding it.

I kid you not. Try some smooth peanut butter. The oils in the peanut butter will bring back the shine unlike any other man made product. Spread on carefully, leave for maybe 20 miss and wipe off. Don't eat, but laugh aloud when you see the results.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom