CLK Convertible for towing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peter miller

Hi all,
Joined this forum recently and have discovered some useful info with regards to what to look out for when buying. However I have not been able to find any opinions as to whether these cars are suitable for towing a caravan.

I currently tow with a Honda CRV and have a TVR Chimaera in my garage as my toy. Unfortunately , due to work load and the good old British weather the TVR has not been out much at all this year so it has got me looking into selling it, putting some cash on top and buying a CLK 320 convertible, having a towbar fitted and away I go.

I am looking to buy a pre March 2001 car to avoid any of the potential road tax increases, but am happy to spend good money on the right car with reasonable mileage with good history.

So before the right car comes my way I was just hoping for some opinions as to whether or not these cars would be ok. The van is well within the 85% weight rule and I am also aware of the potential problem with parking sensors, but any other advise would be greatfully recieved, especially how the auto box would cope.

Peter.

I think A210AMG would be the man to ask, and he will be along soon I am sure, but I can't imagine why it would be a problem, subject to a suitable towbar.

There is nothing in the handbook with regard to towing.

Welcome to MBClub by the way:)

Reactions: 219
Hello

Here I am...sad if I'm know for the twing threads :) :)

Anyway I had a BMW 330Ci convertible as a tow car and it was great, completly removable westfailer towbar so when off the car you would not know. Mine was a manual although I see no problems with the more modern autos towing.

I also had 19" alloys and it towed fine...hardly know the van was their and then when your on sitem roof down and off you go.

I certainly miss it now :( but with a little one and all the stuff that goes with one I have the bus...

Parking sensors are ok, they just beep when in reverse and your not normally in reverse too often with the van..

Here is my old set up..

IMAG3792.jpg

Enjoy :)

Hi

Should be fine - aslong as a towbar is available for it......

Didn't know sheep could drive! :D

Call me ultra cautious but I can imagine body flex being noticeable with a convertible. I've pulled big vans about with old saloons in the long distant past and you can sense the weight on the back of them squirming about.
However I've checked the handbook for the later W 209 CLK and the max permissible trailer load (braked) is THE SAME for Coupe and Cabriolet at 1,500kg.
So Mercedes think it's OK.

Last edited:
No offence but the prospect of a convertible hauling a caravan seems absurd. Thats what 4x4's and estates do....

Not sure why convertibles cannot be used...

90% of the time if not 95 % your not towing so you can enjoy the car :)

I do like sittig high up in my current ML and it does 'feel' right towing but I miss the roof down driving and the 330 did well as a 'towcar'

cheers

Thanks for the replies so far, I dont agree with the idea as absurd at all, it is because I have so little time to go out in my TVR that I have been thinking along these lines.
The TVR is fantastic with the roof down but other than that it is a bit of a one trick pony. I dare to think what would happen If I fitted a towbar!!!

However with a CLK I will have the best of both worlds and it will only have a caravan attached on a handful of occasions throughout the year, and once pitched I can enjoy. It will also be used all year around top down whenever possible. Nothing like a clear winters day or evening roof down, bum warmers on making the most of the welsh A roads.

Peter.

Go For It!

I have a C270cdi which I use for occasional towing and its great. My wife has a CLK 320 convertible and that is a great car too....not used it for towing but it certainly has the power to perform well as a tow car...Towing capacity 1500kgs according to book, so should be ok for a caravan. Would have no qualms using it for towing.

I tow with a E350 CDI Cabriolet for thousands of miles every year. No problems,superb tow car and then I get to drive with the hood down in the south of France and Italy. Try doing that with an ML or estate.
I drive the car I want for 12 months of the year,no compromises. It does all I want it to.

I tow with a E350 CDI Cabriolet for thousands of miles every year. No problems,superb tow car and then I get to drive with the hood down in the south of France and Italy. Try doing that with an ML or estate.
I drive the car I want for 12 months of the year,no compromises. It does all I want it to.

I have a C209 320 CLK and use it for towing. Tows my 16 foot van no problem at all (around 1200KG).
Hardest bit sometimes is temporarily forgetting van is there, and booting it to overtake, then suddenly realizing you are doing 90mph.
I have also had no problems with temperature etc using standard fan, even in the summer.

Neil

I'm surprised M-B got these cars type-approved for towing. What's the plated gross train weight (GTW)?

Hi all need a towbar for my clk230. 2002. W208. Any help appreciated👍

Hi all need a towbar for my clk230. 2002. W208. Any help appreciated👍
Hi,
I believe the W202 C Class chassis was used for the 208 so a 202 tow bar should fit.

Revival of an old thread , but those wishing to tow with convertibles should remember that towbars were available for every generation of SL , from the W121 190SL up to the R129 ( short of August 1998 when the EC towing regulations came in ) ; indeed the brochure for the R107 shows one towing a speedboat on a trailer .

Hi,
I believe the W202 C Class chassis was used for the 208 so a 202 tow bar should fit.
And similarly the R129 is based on the W124 coupe ; although there is a specific towbar in the EPC for the SL .

Revival of an old thread , but those wishing to tow with convertibles should remember that towbars were available for every generation of SL , from the W121 190SL up to the R129 ( short of August 1998 when the EC towing regulations came in )

Interestingly though the VIN plate on my 1997 R129 implies that towing is not permitted, despite the handbook giving a braked trailer weight (1500kg, IIRC):

VIN plate.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom