CLK Convertible for towing ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Interestingly though the VIN plate on my 1997 R129 implies that towing is not permitted, despite the handbook giving a braked trailer weight (1500kg, IIRC):

View attachment 100365
Mine is exactly the same , ditto the handbook , and I looked up the EPC , the Oris towing bracket is there for the car , with MB part numbers and applicable to my car .

Since my 1993 car predates the EC regulations , it wouldn’t have been a problem to fit a towbar . Perhaps the chassis plate only shows a combination weight if the car is ordered with a towbar from the factory. There are plenty of aftermarket brackets available for the car too . I still have a W124 one which I offered up and noted that all fixing points line up .

387C9AD8-23A6-4AB6-AEF8-DFC3C65F1806.jpeg

Perhaps the chassis plate only shows a combination weight if the car is ordered with a towbar from the factory.

That seems most likely. Interesting to see the difference in weights for our cars!

Reactions: 219
Ok all got a tow bar £128 detachable. Fitting next week. I am presuming my 2002 clk 230 is cambus wiring

How do I know it's a sports line mine is clk 230 kompresser Avantgarde if you mean AMG they did not make a 230 AMG well as far as I know ;)

How do I know it's a sports line mine is clk 230 kompresser Avantgarde if you mean AMG they did not make a 230 AMG well as far as I know ;)
As long as the towing weights are on the chassis plate then you can tow 👍🏻

Ok I'll check I presume it's under the bonnet. But I have checked on the MB towing page and ok upto 1500. But some say if the car was not factory fitted with the towbar it will not be stamped on the plate :wallbash:;)

Ok I'll check I presume it's under the bonnet. But I have checked on the MB towing page and ok upto 1500. But some say if the car was not factory fitted with the towbar it will not be stamped on the plate :wallbash:;)
No if a car is type approved to legally tow then then the plate (with towing weights) will be on the car, regardless of whether a factory fitted or not. If the plates there then you can tow legally, if there’s no plate then you can’tz

I have this plate on door

Attachments

• 1598182837516208684147760245777.jpg
    1598182837516208684147760245777.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
Yes , your plate shows the gross train weight of 3500Kg .

For clarity , this only applies to vehicles post 1998 ; on my 1993 SL , there is nothing to legally prevent me towing with it , despite there being no GTW on the plate as pictured , since the EC directive did not exist at that time , and indeed my handbook lists a permissible towing limit of 1500Kg for the car , besides the fact that the Oris detachable towbar was a factory option and listed in the EPC as applicable to my car . I speculated in the post above that the weight does not appear on my plate since the towbar was not fitted at the factory , since it is clear that the car IS suitable for towing ; however later R129s ( the same car ) produced AFTER 1998 cannot legally tow since they were not submitted for type approval .

It may , however , be possible , if one were determined , to submit one's vehicle for single vehicle approval once fitted with a towbar and trailered to the testing station , but that can be a costly process .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom