Clk convertible roof issue!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ainsley81

Car
Clk convertible w208
hi chaps
First post...
Just brought a 2002 clk convertible. Roof doesn’t operate electrically only manually.
I’ve removed the back panel in the boot to expose the pump etc, the hydraulic rams seem to be very wet maybe there’s a leak there? The resovoir seems low it’s about quarter full.
At first the roof switch would flash red quickly when operated but now it does nothing also I’ve noticed the rear head rests also do not now work either. The pump makes no attempt to work the relays just click..
Any ideas? I’d really like it all to work properly.

First stop is a decent Indi, get those codes read as you could have a few issues going on here. The Rams should not be "wet" so you could be needing a few replacements. but as I said, codes read first to see what electrics are playing up.

Hi guys I’ve got similar problem with my convertible clk 230 I had no oil in the pump reservoir it had all leaked into the boot so I’ve replaced the leaking bolt and refilled it now I can’t get the rear headrests to retract and the light just stays on when I open the roof the windows retract and all I get is a clicking from The relay then the fuse blows in the box 40 amp fuse any ideas on how I can get the headrests to go down

I was recently asked to look at a non working roof on a 2003 CLK convertible belonging to a mate of a mate. After trawling through many forum posts I was expecting to find no hydraulic fluid of a worn out pump and rams. Actually all it needed was a 40A fuse and a squirt of contact cleaner. When the button was pressed there was a grunt, no movement and then it stopped. I found that both sides of the fuse were showing battery voltage but as soon as the roof was operated the load side of the fuse dropped to around 8V. Removed the fuse and found it tarnished, sprayed contact cleaner in the fuseholder, fitted a new fuse and the roof worked perfectly. I'm surprised they used a standard mini blade fuse at that sort of current and would have expected to see a maxi fuse with a larger contact area.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom