CLK Diesels. Buying/general advice please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Animal Mother

Car
CLS 320 CDi, Audi S6, Disco 300tdi, Triumph Daytona
Hi

I need to change my car as I have a new job which requires the use of a car for business. My current car is an Audi S6 (5cyl Turbo).

I've looked at and disregarded loads of cars so far as they just can't live up to the feel that the S6 has when you sit in it.

I went to look at a few cars today one of them being a CLK. The one I sat in was a 320 CDi Elegance. It was very nice and I could see it replacing the S6.

I'd also consider the 220 CDi and 270CDi so I'm here for some extra advice.

My car will be paid for in part by claiming mileage allowance so the MPG is important as well as the monthly (finance) cost.

In reality,what are the MPG's (for motorway use) of the 220, 270 and 320 CDi's?

Are there any problems that I should be aware of in those models?

What are the differences with Avantgarde, Elegance and Sport models?

Auto or manual?

Is there anything else I should know or look out for?

Cheers. :D

How many miles per year?

How much is the allowance?

I'll be doing about 25,000 miles per year of which around 12,000 will be business use. The first 10,000 will be at 40p per mile, the 2,000 will be at 25p per mile.

My preference would be a CLK 320 CDi Sport in any colour but Silver. It would preferably have COMAND, electric seats and xenons.My budget is about £15k.

I changed a BMW 325i for the same reasons as you.

I bought an 08 C220 CDi - the 4cyl 170Bhp one, an auto box (you want an auto box really - pay a lot less if you get a manual as affect residuals badly) So far I am impressed - I do a little bit more miles that you - about 1500 / month - it achives over 50mpg on the motorway, on a long run to stevenage the other week with cruise around (and just a teeny bit over) 70mph it returned average 51.4 over the 453 miles - including some a-road and town driving. On a 50 mile trip to manchester on Thursday I was pretty early so got in the inside lane and sat at 60 on the cruise control - I was shocked to see 63mpg!! - even by the time I got into the city and parked up it was still at 59.9mpg - can't get much better than that I think.. and of course with 170bhp and 300lbft torque it can shift on pretty well too.

I think that the 320 CDis will be very good - very smooth and obviously a bit more go - but if you are buying for miles and funding through the mileage - then the 4cyl ones are the way to go.

CLK 270 CDi over about 3500 miles since I'vew owned it is showing 48.4 mpg on the computer, but I think its more like 45-46 really. Trip to work is 32 miles at just under 70mph. Obviously less on slower roads/when I decide to enjoy myself.

Elegance is comfy model, Avantgarde is firmer ride and handles better.

You can probably afford 320 which is newer, prob better engine. Friend had one and claimed 44 mpg and 80mph or so. Great engine.

Auto def!

Like to hear what you decide.

Would the CLK diesels do well with tuning?

Does the MPG increase when they are tuned?

The 320 is a fantastic engine and generally you should see about 45mpg motorway mileage dependant on average speed etc.

Yep, go for the 320cdi if you can. Smooth V6 and very very fast.

The 270cdi is nice, the 220cdi adequate but the V6 is the one to get. All the engines are reliable and at motorway speeds there isn't a lot that separates a 220cdi to a 320cdi economy wise.

Excuse me for asking but is it true that the Avantgarde has firmer suspension than an Elegance?

I could be completely wrong but I thought only the Sport had sports suspension as standard although your could have it as an option on an Elegance or Avantgarde.

Personally I am sick of sports suspension with the state of the roads today!

Hi

In reality,what are the MPG's (for motorway use) of the 220, 270 and 320 CDi's?
Cheers. :D

my 320 has given 39.5 over the last year, 38.6 over te 2 years since new.

mainly m way driving.

Also allow for tyres as the output from the 320 asks to be used, and even with 85% m way a set only lasted 21000 miles. the rears were to the wear 2mm bars & the fronts heavily sholdered

My CLK 270 CDI, (Elegance) with 193K gets about 48mpg on M ways, and 45-50 on A roads. Got to be auto and fully loaded, even down to bose and electric heated seats. Changed my 330i Sport for this car, best choice I ever made.

Thanks everyone. I'm going to concentrate my efforts on a fully loaded 320 Sport or an Avantgarde if I can't find a SPort.

and remember if its too slow (yeah right everyone is saying), you can always go for the Brabus D6 ECU upgrade, however it may tempt you into the realms of the lead right foot and reduced economy:rock:

WOOHOO!

I'll be picking up my 2007 CLS 320 CDi, Obsidian Black Metallic with Beige and Silk Matt Laurel wood this week.

Some extras include:

Wood on wheel and gearknob
Bi-xenons
COMAND
Memory/heated seats
Electric steering column
Parkassist
etc
etc

Pictures to follow once I've had the car detailed.

WOOHOO!

I'll be picking up my 2007 CLS 320 CDi, Obsidian Black Metallic with Beige and Silk Matt Laurel wood this week.

Some extras include:

Wood on wheel and gearknob
Bi-xenons
COMAND
Memory/heated seats
Electric steering column
Parkassist
etc
etc

Pictures to follow once I've had the car detailed.

Congrats. :thumb:

I think that car was previously owned by a member on here ( Brian WH).

LINK to Brian's 2007 CLS320 CDI

CLK to CLS Did I miss something? That is quite a leap.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom