CLK for sale - advertisment feedback

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wemorgan

MB Enthusiast
Car
A205 C220d
From the Autotrader v Ebay poll I've decided to sell my CLK by advertising it on Autotrader online, Ebay and PistonHeads. Thanks for everyone's feedback so far.

I've now written the main advertisement and have posted it here. Next week I'm going to prepare it for sale and place the various online ads. In the meantime I welcome any advertisement feeback good and bad. The photos will be taken from the MBClub Album (link in signature).

Thanks

On Ebay, use the classified ad rather than an auction. It costs much less and runs for longer.

I don't have much to say about your advert (there's nothing wrong with it). I just want to wish you good luck with the sale of your car!:thumb:

I don't have much to say about your advert (there's nothing wrong with it). I just want to wish you good luck with the sale of your car!:thumb:

Thanks. Your CLK is looking very good, especially with those alloys.

Ebay help

I've now added my Ebay advert, but the text formatting is all wrong. (font/colour/line ends etc)
Maybe I'm being dim but can someone tell me how to change it please?
It was all correct in the editing stage, but then it goes to being a single paragraph in the preview and final stage.

Thanks

edit: problem solved....Google Chrome was being rubbish........all fine in IE 8.

Last edited:
Will, a good advert but personally I would not have put the VIN on there! Along with the reg number makes it a target for cloning. Apart from that, best of luck!

I've not had any calls for my car yet. Am I being impatient or is the honest advertisement scaring people off you think? The price looks competitive when compared to similar cars within 60miles radius. Any other thoughts?

Add looks good.

I would having had a friend that buys and sells cars start it at 99p and leave it with no reserve. Let it run for a 10 day and end it Sunday night around 8pm. If its way lower than you expect or bids at 99p end the auction?

This method seems to work and does get a lot of interest. I've no idea if your price is good, bad, or in different but the add looks good.

best of luck

I've not had any calls for my car yet. Am I being impatient or is the honest advertisement scaring people off you think? The price looks competitive when compared to similar cars within 60miles radius. Any other thoughts?

I've sold quite a few difficult-to-shift cars and I'm dreading selling my CLK430 because it will take forever.

Basically if my experience is anything to go by it will hang around in Autotrader for 6 weeks with may be a scammer and the odd agency calling you and then when you think all is lost you'll get a call and that person will buy it!

My E34 BMW 540 Touring sold very quickly with loads of intrest because it was only a few grand and was very rare. So with a big fan base it didn't take long.

Chin up, it will sell, just takes time mate.

Just had my first Ebay waster:

hi wud u be interested in a black saab 900 is 97 R reg convertible 2litre 6months tax & test private plate full cream leather sony head unit with 10 cd multi changer alloys electric roof and windows x4 alarm and immobilizer electric mirrors power steering central locking 2 keys i only have green slip has not got it back yet

sigh...........Ironically before the CLK I had a Saab 93, which is very similar to the 900 and sold it because of a cracked bulk head. So even if this was a genuine offer it's still a rubbish one!

I admire you're honesty, but perhaps this maybe putting off genuine buyers? Don't get me wrong when I sell a car I point out all of the issues to the buyer as I don't want any come back, but the first part of the sale is to get the buyer to you're door......

If your looking for a quicker sale, I'd suggest you put it up for a shade under the £3000 mark, as any offer yor likely to get are there or threeabouts anyway. Also as you have mentioned a crease in the bonnet, a close up picture to show how small it is might help allay fears that there's hundreds to spent to make it presentable. Also as you have had the rear arches done, a close up picture to show that they arnt all brown and crusty would be nice perhaps?.

Other than that its a tempting car, were it not for the fact your a good few hours drive from me, I would have been tempted myself, even though Im not really looking for a CLK!.

I agree with crammy69, also perhaps photograph the rusted areas from further away, showing that the area effected is minimal and the rest of the wheel arch area is fine. I think your ad is fine though, if a little too honest! The key is to get the interest at the start, then gently show the slight imperfections! Personally I think your car is great and if I had the room for another car, I'd consider it! :)

I agree with crammy69, also perhaps photograph the rusted areas from further away, showing that the area effected is minimal and the rest of the wheel arch area is fine. I think your ad is fine though, if a little too honest! The key is to get the interest at the start, then gently show the slight imperfections! Personally I think your car is great and if I had the room for another car, I'd consider it! :)

Thanks for the tip.

I'll consider changing some of the photos. In the meantime I'll added some to my album.

photo showing the rust repair is invisible from a normal angle

photo showing rust repair can only just be seen when looking at this angle

even though the bonnet is rather dusty the crease on the bonnet is invisible to the camera

Last edited:
Those arches look very passable for a 10 year old W208! as regards the bonnet crease, where abouts on the bonnet is it meant to be?

Much better! Your car really does look excellent for it's year. Now, if I could shuffle my cars around a bit, or sell my Saab 900 project... :)

Looks really good... too bad my budget is quite a bit under your price...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom