clk glove box lid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Noroof2003CLK

Car
2003 CLK320/ 2007 S320L
The glove box lid on my CLK W209 falls off every 5 minutes, and when I re fit it, it jars the CD changer sufficiently to loosen the connection of the cassette to the player, so I have to open the glove box lid to replace it, and the lid falls off again, so it's a bit of a vicious spiral really. Anything I am obviously doing wrong here? Also, what is the thingy on the side of the glove box which is like a spring wrapped round a plastic tube?
Regards

Are you adjusting/tightening the catch which can only be done with CD player out? Is the catch damaged in any way?

No idea of the ‘thingy’ is it holding cables? Any pics?

The plastic tube is a damper so it opens slowly. Needs to be attached.

They are a nightmare to reattach these gloveboxes. I have done many. Can you film a video clip of the issue?

The plastic tube is a damper so it opens slowly. Needs to be attached.

They are a nightmare to reattach these gloveboxes. I have done many. Can you film a video clip of the issue?
I am useless at attaching things, but to keep it short, what happens is that the lid drops like a stone and the strange circular gizmos at the bottom that act as the "pivot" the whole thing goes round just drop straight off. I thought the tube thing was some sort of damper. Is it supposed to limit the range of motion? Where does it fit onto?
Thanks for the help

The plastic piston/dampener allows the lid to slowly open. It's held in place with a tiny plastic pin. Sounds like yours has gone.

This is a common issue - do a search on t'internet. There are a few videos around

I would have thought this too, but all the videos I can find just show you how to adjust the catch, and other little bits, but nobody seems to start where I am, with the lid on the floor.
Thanks anyway

There is a little tiny pin which you need to insert between piston and the holes in the lid.

I had rather figured that one out, but it is not obvious where the blunt end of this damper actually fits on, or how. No obvious holes or bits to slot it onto at first or even hundredth glance.

Difficult to see exactly, but the damper appears to clip to the car body at the lower end of the tube. You would expect the damper to be connected top & bottom (like a rear suspension damper), however this one has a connection at the end of the tube where the rod slides in & out, not the top where you would assume it to be. Why? Possibly so that the entire damper assembly rotates out of the way of the glove box as the lid is closed.
I did take a photo to explain, but the only thing that showed up was the packet of Werthers Originals.
Ian.

I realise this post if over 2yrs old now but did you ever resolve the issue. I have had my SLK350 for 3 days and it has glovebox issues that I am resolving but yours is a simple issue, I have taken photos etc for what you need to do but a waste of time if you have resolved the issue and not told anyone. If you have fixed it, I might just do a full how to once I fix my latch issue.

Well, I never had an issue with my glovebox but the damper rod does indeed attach to the car pull it out with a pick tool then grip it with a pair of pliers, if you haven’t got the plastic pin find something else to go through the two holes at the end of the glovebox near the hinge put the pin thru the first hole then the rod then the second hole, done!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom