CLK gone, bucket list big tick

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Igurisu

Car
911 Turbo
So, as much as I liked the CLK, I always wanted something faster. I considered an AMG version, looked at M3, M5, 370Z, Elise, Exige, S2000 and quite a few other cars. But..... I've always wanted a 911 since I looked at cars seriously as a kid. So today the CLK went to its new home (with my brother), I should pick this up next week if all goes well with the inspection on Wednesday.

Porsche2.jpg

996 Turbo 2001 with 55k miles in Lapis Blue with Grey interior, 997 turbo alloys (19" may be too harsh), Tubi exhaust system.

that is a seriously nice car. I wouldn't mind having a punt at a turbo 911 soon

Do we now lose you on the forum Pete?

i dont think the alloys will be too harsh- i have the same on my boxster

Do we now lose you on the forum Pete?

Not at all Brian, I like it here, I've made some good friends both online and off. I plan to still join the tours and meets. We're all car fans at the end of the day.

great choice.

996 may be too harsh with 19" alloys .. 19" were not available OEM

great choice.

996 may be too harsh with 19" alloys .. 19" were not available OEM

Hi Sean, i've not driven the car yet as its 200 miles away. My gut feeling is it will be harsh and tramline too much. I'll see how it drives but probably swap the wheels for original hollow twists (although they weren't hollow until the 996.2).

Hi Sean, i've not driven the car yet as its 200 miles away. My gut feeling is it will be harsh and tramline too much. I'll see how it drives but probably swap the wheels for original hollow twists (although they weren't hollow until the 996.2).

see how it drives .. make sure you drive before parting with cash !!

plus I don't think 997 wheels work with 996 body

The 996 headlights don't work with anything but they do make for some seriously cheap 911s :)

colleague has just sold his MX5 and bought a 996 C4S - the car has great lines, sounds good too :)

colleague has just sold his MX5 and bought a 996 C4S - the car has great lines, sounds good too :)

I did look at the C4S as well, if I had found the right car before the right Turbo then I would probably have gone with one (and prayed for no IMS failure).

That car fell through, couple of problems. Found another (better), picking it up tomorrow. I'll get some pics over the weekend.

Sorry for the delay, been out most of the weekend burning fuel :)

Well a quick update after my first weekend of ownership. The car is just awesome to drive. It is easy to drive around town at 20/30 mph, and can handle the numerous speed bumps around my area without scraping anything (I thought I may need a stock of front splitters).

The handling is very precise, sharp and so far I've not managed to light up the PSM (ESP) never mind break traction despite some entusiastic driving through the Yorkshire dales yesterday. It sticks to the road through bends like glue, and thats in temps of around zero degrees.

Acceleration is just phenomenal, when I floor it, the twin turbos kick in and I just get pinned to the seat. Its very linear and constant, the tip box changing up from second to third at a point where the Turbos are still spooling so there is no drop off then kicking in again.

The braking took a little getting used to. The system isn't over servo'd so you do need to use the pedal firmly, as opposed to the on/off feel you have with some cars.

I've only got a couple of pics so far, and unfortunately the pic of the car outside isn't great due to the Lancashire rain we had most of Saturday. It doesn't show the colour very well, it is Polar silver which has a hint of blue in it with a red interior. I know red isn't for everybody but I like some colour in my car interiors. The hard top will be coming off as soon as I make some space in the garage.

Attachments

• Warrington-20130306-00103.jpg
    Warrington-20130306-00103.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 26
  • Burnley-20130309-00105.jpg
    Burnley-20130309-00105.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 26
polar silver is my favourite Porsche colour :)

and the red interior rocks !!!

Good start on the photos - look to see more in due course!

Keep your eye out on eBay for a carbon fibre transmission tunnel cover. Always loved those on the 996.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom