CLK Help please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Downesi1

Hi, I'm hopefully joing the MB fold soon and so need some advise.
I am looking to upgrade the Peugeot 406 v6 coupe that I have to a nice CLK.
Can anyone advise on the best spec's/combinations color/engine as the different amount of models confuse me....
Classic/Sport/Avantgarde/Elegance......

Your help is needed !

Oh by the way, I'm 28 so the sportier looking the better, but I'm not into boy racer stuff !

thanks.

Classic is the bottom of the range for trim, and try to avoid pre facelift ones, as they dont have body coloured front/side skirts nor indicator mirrors

Hi,

i assume you meana second hand one? Ill point a few things out:

Classic is a base trim, anything extra will have come as an option..
Esprit is the next step up, cant remember exacly what you get, but its not that much
Sport- Sportier suspension, nicer trim inside and out, generally a desired trim
Elegance - Cost the same as sport, but has more relaxed suspension setup, has more chrome everywhere and a wooden interior, few little things aswell..
Sport & Elegance come with stuff like electric windows, a/c etc etc.... These are usually the ones to go for. I prefer elegance....
Avantgarde is a newer trim, not too sure about this one, but i think features are xenon lights, tinted glass, nicer grille, aluminium trims etc on the clk....

In terms of engine, 200 is a little too small but adequate and a lot cheaper. 230K is economical and still quite powerfull.
320&430 are the beasts. 320 is usually the most desired as its still relatively economical but very powerfull..

Remember, dont buy a manual unless its much cheaper and you are prepared to wait when you want to sell. They are rare, but do pop up and are not really desired.

If i was looking, it would have to be a 320 Elegance with leather...

Prices are going down due to the new CLK and there are some bargains around

Have a pre facelift myself and I am very, very pleased with it (CLK320). OK, it doesn't have the indictors in the mirrors (big deal) and the skirts are not painted (doesn't really show on my Green Black car anyway!).

The only things I miss in having the pre facelift are the steering wheel controls and the information that is on the newer consoles between the speedo and tacho.

There isn't a Classic in the CLK range, only Sport, Avantgarde and Elegance. Sport is the earlier model with (I think and I may be corrected) slightly lower spec than the Elegance. Avantgarde is a newer introduction that has more sporty touches where the Elegance has more "old style" Benz traits like chrome and walnut trim (Elegance) as opposed to body coloured and Birds Eye Maple trim in the Avantgarde. Avantgarde also has the sports suspension setup. The engines are exactly the same across the model types.

My advice, for what it is worth, is go for the 320 is you can, the V6 is a really sweet engine.

Whatever CLK you go for I am sure that you will love it - I do. . . .

Cheers

Guy

Thanks Chaps, I've seen a nice R plate Sport 230 Kompressor with 95k on the clock. Its up for £11995.

Spec:
ABS, Air-Conditioning, Alarm, Alloy Wheels, Automatic Transmission, CD player, Cruise Control, Electric Sunroof, Electric Windows, grey leather, Power-Assisted Steering

any thoughts ?

Downesi,

I've just done a used car price check on that car and if it's in excellent condition, then that is a fair price.

Thanks Ron !

Anyone got any idea's in respect to how many miles the 230/230 Kompressor engine can take ?

Dont be worried that its done 95K, just look for full history.,, i think the price reflects the mileage, obviously youll make an offer of 11-11.5 and for that price its ok. These engines are not as strong as older/bigger engines, and turbos dont last forever, but keeping it serviced immaculately and you hopefully wont have to worry for long long time..

Originally posted by Downesi1
Thanks Ron !

Anyone got any idea's in respect to how many miles the 230/230 Kompressor engine can take ?

They are virtually bullet-proof, the engine if properly maintained would be good for 300-400k miles imho. The rest of the car and the gearbox will give up the ghost long before the engine gets tired.

I think Shude had a previous C230K which had covered approx 135k miles without a hitch.

S.

The Sport is the same trim as mine - faux carbon-fibre which I know some hate, but I love.

Pre-facelift was available in Elegance or Sport trims (Facelift Sport CLKs were called Avantgarde).

The Sport had the carbon trim, white dials, 16" seven-spoke alloys, haematite (black) side window trims, lowered sports suspension and anthracite seat belts. IMHO the Sport (and Avantgarde) trims suit the CLK better (but then I'm not a big fan of wood-look in cars - unless it's a Bentley :D ).

Cheers

Andrew

Cheers everyone.
A friend has the C200 Sport and i find the seats slight on the hard side, infact I would go as far as to say harsh !

Yes the seats (even leather) are harder, and the ride is not so refined, thats the main reason i prefer the elegance.....

Seems like it's down to personal choice here on the trim levels, whichever suits your tastes.

The 320 is definately the engine of choice though if you can find a nice one. Same consumption figures (or thereabouts) and better performance and no blower to go wrong. I thought about the 230K but the insurance is the same too so the 320 made sense, and the 320 is only available with the auto box.

Cheers

Guy

Originally posted by Gizmo750
Seems like it's down to personal choice here on the trim levels, whichever suits your tastes.

Absolutely Guy. That's why MB offer two :D .

jaymanek: I actually don't think the suspension is firm enough. I'd love to firm it up and that's my plan sometime next year - upgraded antil-roll bars from a CLK55, lowered springs and adaptable dampers).

Having said what I've said, if somebody offered a new CLK500 in Elegance trim to me, I wouldn't say no :p .

Got to agree about the 320. Great engine, plenty of power, not bad economy (25ish). I love my CLK and I'm sure Downesi1, if you get one, you'll feel the same way.

Cheers

Andrew

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom