CLK hunting.... or SLK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Flyinspanner

MB Enthusiast
Car
A209 320CLK (CL500 & W168 sold)
Hi

Last night Mrs FS said it might be ‘fun’ to buy a soft top for the summer (possible French holiday) she likes the look of SLKs and CLKs

I’m torn!

but going to look at a nice looking CLK in white with a grey interior (I dislike black interiors) it’s a 200 - I know that there can be issues with these engines, are the 230s better/same?

Ive also seen some nice 280s and 350s on our price bracket.

Then there are the SLKs - I suppose that dynamically they may be a bit more ‘fun’ and have seen a few interesting ones on offer - one being possibly a Brabus 350, and one a later (09) but has an ‘S’ category history

what to do? Decisions Decisions :):)

Hi

Last night Mrs FS said it might be ‘fun’ to buy a soft top for the summer (possible French holiday) she likes the look of SLKs and CLKs

I’m torn!

but going to look at a nice looking CLK in white with a grey interior (I dislike black interiors) it’s a 200 - I know that there can be issues with these engines, are the 230s better/same?

Then there are the SLKs - I suppose that dynamically they may be a bit more ‘fun’ and have seen a few interesting ones on offer - one being possibly a Brabus 350, and one a later (09) but has an ‘S’ category history

I I have a clk 320 convertible for summer/fun use. Plus you still have room in the boot with the top down, also room to put things inside (rear) under the wind deflector. Its an old car that can see a lot of newer stuff the way down the road.

I thought the 230 was only available in the older versions?

The SLK has very limited luggage capacity for a holiday, a 280 or 320 V6 CLK would make for a more relaxing cruiser with the automatic 'box

SLK has plenty of room for holiday luggage , even with the top down , as long as your wife doesn't take too many pairs of shoes . Joking aside, my wife has commented about how much soft luggage the boot will take although it does limit the amount of shopping that can be done. My wife even managed to buy a large painting when we were last away , it just cost me an extra £23 to have it delivered.

SLK has plenty of room for holiday luggage , even with the top down , as long as your wife doesn't take too many pairs of shoes . Joking aside, my wife has commented about how much soft luggage the boot will take although it does limit the amount of shopping that can be done. My wife even managed to buy a large painting when we were last away , it just cost me an extra £23 to have it delivered.
I was working on the amount of luggage my lovely one takes.

She is capable of filling the boot of the E Class or indeed the Range Rover for a weeks holiday :)

The SLK has very limited luggage capacity for a holiday
How much luggage space do you need? Angie and I can do three week trips in her SLK, but then we’re used to touring on a motorcycle.

I guess it comes down to do you want a 4 seater saloon car with a rag top, or a 2 seater roadster with a tin top? Both are good choices.

My partner has had the clk and slk. I had an older slk. I preferred the clk to the slk. The slk's were like a skateboard. The slk's were only ever our weekend/second cars but I definitely wouldn't want one as a main car

Certainly don't find our R172 handles like a skateboard , other than over bad potholes it's good and a really comfortable long distance cruiser. Of course if I could afford to run an SL I would !
The other upside for me is that I have no garage and having a Smart Convertible we found when we moved to Wales the hood was green by the end of the first winter. Hence the switch to a hard top convertible and a slightly bigger engine :rolleyes:

MY CLK will be up for sale, soon as I can find a good C63 AMG MCT ;)

Hi

I’m torn!

First question is do you need the two extra seats ? Even occasionally?

Also the CLK will have a lot more room for luggage .

I know two people who bought SLKs then later concluded they were ‘too small’ .

I know two people who bought SLKs then later concluded they were ‘too small’ .
In all honesty, if you're much over 6 feet tall you will find an SLK cramped as you may not be able to get the seat far enough away from the pedals.

I'm not keen on our SLK.

It's the second one, the first was a 2002 320 which we both enjoyed, this one is a 172, the 250 petrol is gruff, the ride is over firm, the roof creaks and I can't get far enough away from the steering wheel.

I appreciate that some of these issues are more mine than the car but, for me, it's not a viable touring car.

In all honesty, if you're much over 6 feet tall you will find an SLK cramped as you may not be able to get the seat far enough away from the pedals.
One was my pal who bought an old shape SLK 320 , liked the performance but dismayed at the lack of boot space .

The other was a landscape gardener we employed who had one of the newer shape ones and bemoaned the interior space , in particular elbow room , saying he would get an SL next time . He was a big chap though .

Luckily I am well under 6' and not too broad, my wife is smaller! So we find the interior of our R172 perfect but agree there is not much extra space and certainly if I was 6' and a rugby player I would struggle !
The only struggle I have is getting out in a tightly packed car park as I am too lazy to set the electric seat memory with a position that moves the seat fully back

Having owned a SLK IMO, it is not a good choice for long trips. 1) Space & 2) Depending on what you buy, suspension. I had a R172 SLK350 and it was a hard ride.

Packing for road trips was always an issue and as posted elsewhere, 2 small bags is about it (no space left for a case of French wine). My wife always complained that there was nowhere for her handbag and coat in the front.

After retiring, when I started looking for a new car , the missus told me that she didn't mind a 2 seater but it had to be bigger than the SLK .....:);):).

Even the SL is tight for luggage and I'm now looking at buying custom luggage. If we go away for a couple of weeks we don't want to have to worry about laundry every couple of days because we could not take enough clothing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Certainly what I like about my R129 is the boot is decent enough , and not compromised by a folding hard top , then the occasional rear seats are fine for my 11 YO son and one of his pals ( would be a squeeze for adults ) , but without any rear passengers there is just about as much space again as there is in the boot , so plenty of luggage space for two ; or indeed for me to take all the camera kit I want for a job ( most of the time ) .

It'll cost you a lot more than for example a 2008 R171 SLK280, but have a look at a Porsche 968 tip cab - wife and I did 19 days 2600 miles Northern Spain to UK in one, mostly with the roof down, between the boot and behind the front seats (it's a 2+2) under the wind deflector it's amazing what you can squeeze in with some pre-planning - a hell of a lot more than we can get into the R171 SLK280 we've had to switch to due to infirmity!
This was my car ;
Used Porsche 968 Convertible 3.0 Cabriolet Tiptronic 2dr in Maldon,, Essex | Max Bradley Cars
PM me if you want history of it!

Reactions: 219
Problem with the Box is that the rear boot gets rather warm from the engine heat, plus they are now so common!! Also the boot space is not as good as the total luggage space in a 968 cab, let alone a 968 coupe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom