CLK keyless entry - q's & queries

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mercconvert

Car
CLK55 AMG,Holden Ute, a broken Legacy Twin Turbo & a chevy blazer
Hi

I wondered if any keyless entry guru's could help me please?
My 2003 CLK has Keyless entry. Shortly after the cars battery threw a wobbler, the drivers side KE stopped working. Passenger side KE has never worked since ownership (so I assumed it wasn't fitted on that side). Boot still works on keyless as does keyless stop/start. So...

Can someone please clarify a dumb question for me (because I'm getting confused from other threads):dk:......

Is the sensor in the door handle or the part with the barrel lock?
IMG_0022.jpg
IMG_0020.jpg

I also wondered does this mean i need a new sensor/door handle? The button on the handle seems to do nothing.

If the keyless part is in the handle, is that a 'door card' off job?

As an aside it would help if someone could tell me does my passenger side have keyless entry?
IMG_0025.jpg

Many thanks in advance - sorry if my questions are blatantly obvious

If like my W211 all door open keyless. I had 2 handles replaced due to sensors stopping working .
Marc

Is the sensor in the door handle or the part with the barrel lock?

Each handle has 4 sensors/switches as follows:
  • the small black square beside the barrel lock is an IR (infra red) receiver which you can use to lock/unlock the door by pointing the key directly at it and pressing the remote button (on some cars it will also open/close the windows/sunroof if you hold the remote button down)
  • the entire inside of the handle where your fingers grab is a capacitive sensor that detects the presence of your hand to unlock the door
  • there's a switch that will unlock the door as you pull the handle in case the capacitive unlocking doesn't work
  • the button on the main part of the handle locks all the doors/boot.

In addition there is a LF (low frequency) antenna within each door (and the boot) and an RF (radio frequency) receiver within the car somewhere. There's also a controller module (possibly in the boot, like mine) and lots of wiring everywhere.

All doors should have working keyless entry.

There are 2 (very) common faults with Keyless Go: the handles fail and have to be replaced (they cannot be repaired) or the wires carrying the KG signals break at the door hinge.

On some models the KG handle can be replaced without taking the door card off (not on my W215 though).

The first pic shows the electrical connections to the handle. The one on the left is for the IR sensor and can be unplugged at the handle. The wire on the right is for Keyless Go and is fixed to the handle so that on my car it's necessary to remove the door card to get access to unplug it; a bit of a pain to do.

The second pic shows the LF antenna. It's the large black irregular-shaped ring with a white rectangle bottom left of it (also part of the KG set-up). The large black rectangle within the ring is an airbag.
_

Attachments

• P1000760-001.jpg
    P1000760-001.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 37
  • P1020034-001.jpg
    P1020034-001.jpg
    176.8 KB · Views: 42
Last edited:
Thank you Lexman that's brilliant - helps me understand it a whole lot more now

Just getting around to trying to replace the handle but the bolt which holds the handle largely in place - the hex bolt which you find behind the trim- is absolutely rock solid and despite trying to soak it in wd40 and trying various hex tools it's now starting to round off - any tips for removal ?

Thanks Paulontour - managed to change the handle without getting that bolt undone - and it's fixed the keyless entry - hooray !

Thanks Paulontour - managed to change the handle without getting that bolt undone - and it's fixed the keyless entry - hooray !
Hi, like you my KE has stopped working in on the doors of my clk but the boot button works. Could you tell me, if you can remember, how you fixed this? As I've heard it can be around £500 per door to fix.
Thanks,

Jack

Its nearly always the door handles. Over my last two MBs with KG one 211 and my current cls I have replaced 7 !!

Its nearly always the door handles. Over my last two MBs with KG one 211 and my current cls I have replaced 7 !!
Is it an easy fix? Replacement handles or are they repairable?
Do you have any idea on cost?
Id like them to work but I don't care enough to spend fortunes.

Thanks

Is it an easy fix? Replacement handles or are they repairable?
Do you have any idea on cost?
Id like them to work but I don't care enough to spend fortunes.

Thanks
If you can remove the non working handles and are prepared to wait a few day, this outfit will repair the handle and return it to you.
Cost is 99 euros each.

The alternative is to buy new handles from the main dealer for around £150+ VAT each. Not sure if they need to be painted afterwards or whether they come colour coded still. £500 per door is nowhere near the correct price. It takes only a few minutes to remove and replace a handle.

As far as I am aware they used to come colour coded but now do not so unless there is still some old colourcoded stock for your car they will need to be painted now. The last two of mine had to be painted. Once you have got it working you will love it......well at least, I love it having had two in a row.
To fit them , although I have never done it, is just losening a bolt through the side of the door and swapping the connector plug over to the new handle. My indie says sometimes something falls down the back necessitating door card removal to get at it so take care!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom