CLK Mirror into 190E

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aircondoc

Car
2004 R230 SL350
Hi all,
I have been considering fitting a self dipping mirror to the 190 for a while, but didn't fancy the prices for a period one. Looking on e-bay the fitting method seemed the same for all ages of Mercs, so I thought I'd try a newer one. I got a 2007 CLK mirror from e-bay for £32-bargain I think!

018-1.jpg

Only problem is a piece of trim missing at the front.

033-1.jpg

When I checked the fixing method, it's exactly like the 190's.

022-1.jpg

When I offered the mirror up, it was obvious a spacer would be needed to bring the mirror down from the roof, so I made a couple of ally spacers (3mm) in work. They're a bit rough and ready as I didn't have long!

023-1.jpg

With longer screws the mirror went up just right, after it was clipped in.
Electrics were scotchlocked in on the red/black supply and brown earth behind the interior light.
The green was found to be the power line for the auto dipper and bullet connectors fitted to the mirror wires. I think the pink is for reverse lock out.

027-1.jpg

With all connected the mirror was clicked in. This is done by compressing the spring with pliers and a small spring clip holds them in just enough to clip in, then the spring is pushed up and the main spring flies out and locks.

021-1.jpg

There was a slight gap at the back edge so I filled it with some soft sponge rubber, a bit like draught excluder but black.

036-1.jpg

Then I gave it a late night test and all done. No welding and a lot cheaper than a w124 mirror from Germany!
Oh, and while i was at it, I fitted my bluetooth mic in the roof console too!

038-1.jpg

Now I just need to get the missing piece of trim for the mirror and she'll be sorted.

039-1.jpg

Hope this is of use to people

Bit late I know but I've got a mushroom coloured one!

The CLK mirror has built in mics for an OE phone kit , it would of been trick to connect the bluetooth kit into these .
Nice mod though ,

I think this one supports homelink as well, where you can link in garage door openers etc, you can see the sensor in the view below (through all the flies!!). All redundant for me, but may be of use in the future.

041-1.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom