CLK or C-Class? (My first Merc)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Newguy

Car
None at present
Hi

Hope to get some thoughts. I'm looking at 2 cars at the moment:

The first is a CLK 200 (2002) Elegance auto, leather interior.

The second is a C Class C180 (2002) classic, auto, leather interior.

Both cars have done approx 90K miles and are roughly the same price.

I guess I'm looking for something comfortable, reliable and with a bit of Mercedes style.

Both cars have service history and are fairly similar condition wise. I realise there are always a thousand variables but overall I just wanted some opinions on which for around £4000 would be best.

I do a short commute to work and hit the motorway on weekends.

Thanks in advance for any comments.

D

ive got a clk and i love it. i had a c class many moons ago but for me the clk just feels right and looks right. the c class is a very nice car but for me not as good as the clk. But thats just my opinion many others im sure will say the c class. The best way to find out is to take them both for a spin. see how they fit. take a good look around the cabin you will just know when your sitting in it and driving it if its right for you. good luck and let us know what you end up with.

I prefer the CLK over the C class.
Looks better, and its also an Elegance too (C class classic).

Will you need back seat access often?
2 doors v 4 doors etc.

I am surprised that they are priced the same, as the clk has higher trim level (Elegance), and the higher-tuned engine (200K). It should also be marginally faster due to reduced weight (2 doors only), but neither is particularly sporty so not sure if this is really an issue. So I guess the question is do you need a 4-door 5-seater? Otherwise, for the same price and same condition/mileage, the clk looks (on paper!) like better value.

Reading about Valeo radiator leak issues on here. Do they occur on both the CLK and C-Class from 2002?

Kinda scary and off putting!

Thanks for the comments so far. CLK seems to have the edge. I'm happy with a 2 door!

Last edited:
Reading about Valeo radiator leak issues on here. Do they occur on both the CLK and C-Class from 2002?

Kinda scary and off putting!

Sadly I have to add that as far as I am aware early C-Class (pre-2005) were not the most reliable of cars - as are many other 'wilderness years' Mercs... if budget won't stretch to 2005+ car, then check condition carefully including rust - wheel-arches etc - and preferably buy from a reputable dealer with some come-back (and warranty) if problems are encountered. I don't want to put you off buying the Merc - many people here have 2002 MBs and are perfectly happy with them - just to say that you should check well before buying, i.e. do not assume that because it is a Merc it will just run forever... gone are these days (for any car make, really).

When I bought My CLK I noticed it came with quite a few standard features like split fold rear seats etc which were only available as options on the C & E classes. Even in standard trim the CLK should have a higher spec interior than the C class.

Russ

Sadly I have to add that as far as I am aware early C-Class (pre-2005) were not the most reliable of cars - as are many other 'wilderness years' Mercs... if budget won't stretch to 2005+ car, then check condition carefully including rust - wheel-arches etc - and preferably buy from a reputable dealer with some come-back (and warranty) if problems are encountered. I don't want to put you off buying the Merc - many people here have 2002 MBs and are perfectly happy with them - just to say that you should check well before buying, i.e. do not assume that because it is a Merc it will just run forever... gone are these days (for any car make, really).
Thanks for the honest advice. I have to admit it's something that makes me nervous. I'll check it out!

if budget won't stretch to 2005+ car, then check condition carefully including rust

Afraid that is no guarantee anymore, mine is a December 2005 model and is currently getting rust repairs done under warranty. I wonder if next year we will be advising people to stretch the budget for a 2007 or 2008 model?

Russ

owning a merc is a labour of love just like any other car. look at the following of landrovers also not the most reliable of vehicles but they are loved by many and for some no other vehicle will come close. Mercs on the whole are reliable but again have a big following so when things do go wrong you have a wealth of knowledge to fall back on and on the whole most parts are relatively cheap to buy.

Currently have a CLK, previously had an early W203 C- class. The CLK is great, the c- class was rubbish. Lots of problems with the electrics. Spec on the CLK is better and quality of trim is better. If you can stretch to a late 2003 model i think they were galvanised and much better at resisting rust. Ours is late 2003 (had it from new) and does not show the slightest corrosion. The 200k is perfectly adequate in my opinion. Very refined for a 4 cylinder.

Just a thought Classic trim with leather is a bit odd. Not even sure it was available. Its probably the artificial substitute.

clk or c class

I started looking for a 2nd hand CLK and ended up with a new C220d estate elegance. I couldn't find a CLK that felt just right, so I bit the bullet and went for a new one, the best decision I ever made.
sounds strange to go from coupe to estate but it makes sense to me,
my mum used to say "what will hold a lot, will hold a little",
my dad says "put the wheels where you want them and the car will follow".

So now, if I want to take family to the airport, or when my grandchildren arrive if i wish to take them out with buggy it's all easy.
If I go the garden centre on Sunday and buy a chair I can fit it in too,
its totally practical, and doesn't feel large at all.
The blue efficiency engine is already doing 44 to 52mpg and its not done 2500 miles yet. I like fuel efficiency and practical. My previous bmw118d did 40mpg or less for 3 years, the run flats were like stone wheels, and it didn't hold anything much in the boot.
The young man at the dealership where I bought my MB helped me decide, without pressure, and I took a couple of months deciding!!, and I frightened myself to death with the commitment,
but I am so delighted, its the loveliest car.
It travels perfectly and efficiently, and I intend to keep it for a very long time. I also considered passat, volvo and bmw 5 series tourer (which I've had before, for 14 years),
The MB is best value by miles.

For what its worth, thats my opinion.
but you should know my priorities are, something useful, reliable, will last, is economical, wont catch fire in a flood, and it isn't black, but thats just me.
happy motoring

Google mercedes and rust first, you might change your mind then. 2002 was right in the middle of a very bad period for rusty mercs. :crazy:

If you do buy, be very suspicious if there is no rust, and check it very carefully.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom