CLK power steering feel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ginettaman

Car
CLK 320 Cab
My new to me CLK steering does not feel light like some road tests suggest. If anything it feels a bit stiff both ways when turning and manouvering slowly. Not too bad driving. Could something be wrong with it? Any common issues that can cause the odd heavy feeling? I'll check the tracking soon and for any suspension joint issues.

I think it’s normal, MB steering has a sort dead feel to it. Driving and parking seams to have about the same weight.

Have you checked the tyre pressures?
What year and spec is your CLK?
If it has Parametric steering, might need a session on STAR to check operation.

Mine doesn't feel particularly heavy. - I think it's "speed sensitive assistance", which is probably the same thing as "parametric", so it gives less assistance the faster you're moving.

I don't know that I could move it from lock to lock with one finger, but I think two might be enough; it's certainly not a big drama to parallel park... other than the visibility is terrible so I rely heavily on Parktronic.

The steering on mine did feel a little vague when it had the old Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres on it, but since I replaced them with PS4s it's a lot better; I've got confidence that it will go where I point it when I throw it in to a corner now.

Mine is way heavier than our other car. But not ridiculously so. It does have an odd feel. Mine sometimes feels like it weights up when going round a mini roundabout. Never really bothered me but truth be told, I’ve never been a fan of the steering on it full stop. But you get used to it and after a while you don’t think about it any more!

Mine is way heavier than our other car. But not ridiculously so. It does have an odd feel compared to other cars I’ve driven. Mine sometimes feels like it weights up when going round a mini roundabout. Never really bothered me but truth be told, I’ve never been a fan of the steering on it full stop. But you get used to it and after a while you don’t think about it any more!

Mine is way heavier than our other car. But not ridiculously so. It does have an odd feel compared to other cars I’ve driven. Mine sometimes feels like it weights up when going round a mini roundabout. Never really bothered me but truth be told, I’ve never been a fan of the steering on it full stop. But you get used to it and after a while you don’t think about it any more!
That's sounds like mine yes. Seem heavy even to go back to straight ahead after a turn.
I want to check out the front suspension geometry and settings next but where can I find it's settings? Caster and camber and toe in etc? More caster would help self centring.

If the tyres have even wear across the tread it should be OK, have the geometry checked.
To me it’s the characteristic of the car, live with it.

That's sounds like mine yes. Seem heavy even to go back to straight ahead after a turn.
I want to check out the front suspension geometry and settings next but where can I find it's settings? Caster and camber and toe in etc? More caster would help self centring.
Mine doesn't feel like that. - Is it the lightest steering? No, but I don't feel like I've had a workout when I'm driving it.

As I said, the biggest improvement in steering feel was putting some better tyres on the front axle.

Tyres on mine have been changed before my ownership so ok and not much wear but I have the kit to check my geometry if I can get the settings? Worth a check in case a past owner has damaged or bent something. Even a wheel change can put adjustments out with different offsets.

I've driven 3 W209's and 2 W211's, with same engine (all sport models) and on all W209's steering didn't feel as light as the W211's at very low speeds (<15mph). I prefer the W209 steering feel for driving and the W211 for parking :)

I topped up my power steering fluid yday on my CLK, it was just above the min marks for both cold/warm. Made no difference to the feel of the steering.

Power steering pumb may be weak.
Or worse case senario, steering oil was supplemented in the past with 'leak stop oil' to fix minor leak. My opinion. If you change the oil you may improve the assistance but IF there was indeed a leak the new oil may reintroduce.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom