CLK rear suspension bushes (209)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

estate-agent

Car
W203 270 CDI Wagon - previously CLK 320 CDI Sport
Hi all,

I think this is one of my first posts here so hope it becomes of use for a few fellow CLK owners.

My model is a CLK 270 CDI

I have recently had the dreaded squeaking rear suspension bushes. I had read some post on here and it sounded like I had a common "anti-roll bar drop link or anti roll bar bushes" syndrome. I changed the both sides.... Still squeaked. double and triple checked to be certain which side was squeaking and it was the nearside. So I set about changing bits that were straight forward to do myself. These included:

Anti-roll bar drop link
Anti-roll bar bushes
Compression Rod
Tie Rob (for adjusting rear toe)
Camber Rod
Shock Absorber

STILL QUEAKING!!

I decided to remove the lower wishbone completely. I bought the inner bush for the wishbone that connect the wishbone to the chassis and also the outer bush which is fitted to the hub but connects the outer end of the wishbone to the hub. The parts company gave me the wrong bush for the inner side which was not far off twice the size of the one that my car had. I did a bit of investigating and it turns out that the bush that I was supplied was for a CLK 320 CDI. (my cars a 270 CDI). with this in mind it appears they "uprated" the rear wishbones for facelift (or at least higher powered) CLK's. I decided to buy two second hand 320 CDI wishbones and sure enough they are beefier than the standard 270 CDI ones. I had the new bushes pressed into the new wishbones and also pressed out and pressed in the new lower hub carrier bushes(myself). The hub carrier bushes are "rose jointed" and these were defiantly the squeak generators!

So basically my squeaking turned out to be the rear hub carrier bushes but due to the mistake by the motor factors I found that the rear suspension was beefed up for at least the facelift 320 CDI if not all facelift models.

second hand wishbones cost me £70 so I think it was a worthy swap, there must have been a reason for Mercedes to remanufacture stronger wishbones for a car that are all pretty much the same weight! I will be lowering and upgrading my suspension shortly so the new wishbones should cope with the moderately harder ride as well.

Thanks for reading :)

Great work. Well done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom