CLK Rust in the usual places - Advice Please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

teemsta

Car
1999 CLK 430
Hi,

When I bought the 1999 CLK430 a few months ago, the car had bubbling rust at the back of the rear arches and minor rust at the front arches.

I paid £350 to get all 4 panels sorted (was mates rate) and the car looked immaculate when I got it back. At the time I was advised that the R/H rear arch had to have a plate welded in as it was getting quite bad.

Unfortunately, a month in and the rust came back and is now pretty much the same as when purchased. Now when I kicked off with the mate of a mate who did it, he told me to let it come through as much as possible before I give it him back. He even said 'don't worry it it holes we can still fix it'! :eek:

I want the car mint, but a couple of bodyshops told me no matter what I do it will always potentially come back unless I replace the panels. Is this b***ocks (so they have a disclaimer when I do take it back), or is this actually the case?

I also heard about this goodwill warranty from MB, but I suppose since I've already had it done by a non-approved source this will probably be invalid anyway?

Any thoughts/ comments much appreciated as usual! :D

I had exactly the same issues when I bought my CLK rust in the places you mention + boot back panel, had them painted buy a guy who did my race car. This was just over 13 months ago and they are still mint not a spot of rust coming back through any where, so in answer to the question from my experience it is certainly not necesscary to replace the panels but preparation of the surface before painting is the key.

Yep....

The rules of P's ...

Preparation and Planning Prevents P**s Poor Performance :)

This was just over 13 months ago and they are still mint not a spot of rust coming back through any where

Well that is good to know, I don't suppose then there is anyone who can recommend (from personal experience) a body shop in the Manchester area? I've saved up some cash to get this done, but I refuse to be stung twice in a row!

Teemsta,

Please let me know if anyone does provide a recommendation in Manchester. I have noticed some rust on my w208 this weekend.

I will phone Mercedes Direct in Manchester (vendor April 2007) to see what they say about corrosion warranty.

Hi Teemsta,

I don't know where you purchased the car, nor whether this affects the process.

I spoke with Merecedes Direct Manchester. They described the claims process as "Good Will".

To make a claim you need bring the V5 document and the Service history booklet. I asked about main dealer vs indie the main concern is (non-mercedes approved) bodywork repairs.

I know this applies to you. He said the paintwork would be tested to confirm (I personally doubt it).

They take photos and submit a claim. He was keen to point out no guarantees the claim will be honoured.

Hope that helps you out. I only have one rusty wheel arch at present so I am tempted to hold off for more damage. Bring on the rain!

-- D

Because the car is 1999 and has had paint already-- and possibly before sale to you??? its unlikely MB will repair the car at their cost. But you never know, certainly worth asking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom