Clk Steaming Up

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brightspark0612

Probably a quick answer but why does my car keep steaming up and how do I de-mist it without using air con or keeping using the de-mist button and blowing air out full blast? I've tried many things and its starting to wind me up
Any ideas?

Leave the a/c on as it's designed to be used.

But also check the cabin filter and renew if needed

is the car very damp inside anyway? Had this with the SLK (which is not used much, and has been kept outside for too long recently due to garage being used for storage). I read on here to pop a dehumidifier in it for a day or so - 36 hrs later I'd got a litre of water collected. Fine now.

On another car, I had a slight pinhole in the heater matrix which was humidifying air as it passed through it - are you losing any radiator fluid?

The cars I see, new and old with the windows steamed up in the winter!
You cannot even see the driver!
Just use the air con as it's designed to.

You dont need to use the aircon!

Turn the aircon off, then the next day start the car with the dial aimed at the drivers window on full wack. after a 30 secs it will start to clear. then keep it on until it clears, then move the dial to the preferred setting.

If you have had the aircon on, on the same day however you will need to keep putting it on. once you leave it overnight for example with it switched off you wont need to put it on again - hope that makes sense.

I havent had my aircon on for ages (apart from once a week to prevent the system from drying out)

Last edited:
Air-con on with recirc selected, this will remove any moisture within the cabin.

Thanks for all the advice I will find out what works best and let you all know.

Thanks again.

Aircon on permenantely for me,re-circ button/heater on if misted up badly/when theres a frost.

You dont need to use the aircon!

Turn the aircon off, then the next day start the car with the dial aimed at the drivers window on full wack. after a 30 secs it will start to clear. then keep it on until it clears, then move the dial to the preferred setting.

If you have had the aircon on, on the same day however you will need to keep putting it on. once you leave it overnight for example with it switched off you wont need to put it on again - hope that makes sense.

I havent had my aircon on for ages (apart from once a week to prevent the system from drying out)

All very well if you stay in Cambridge, other parts of the UK have very damp air and only by using the AC can the windows be kept clear.

Russ

All very well if you stay in Cambridge, other parts of the UK have very damp air and only by using the AC can the windows be kept clear.

Russ

Its all flooded around Cambridge still, its hardly a desert region here. infact as I write this its sleeting.

If you use your system correctly you never need to use the aircon! - 10/20 years ago most cars didnt have aircon and we got by for the mostpart then.

Never used it on all of my other cars either.

Aircon on , taking air from outside , it dries the air as it passes through the system , so no more moist air being pumped around the car.

Works a treat.

No need to turn the aircon off ever , unless you are paranoid about fuel consumption or lacking in power so need to squeeze every last horsepower out of the engine.

10/20 years ago most cars didnt have aircon and we got by for the mostpart then.

I know I did, but the windows always steamed up & you had to keep the fan on a high setting or carry a cloth for wiping the windscreen.

Since cars have AC I've never had to do this, I thought it was progress?

Russ

Somewhere below the evaporator in the dash should be a water drain. Maybe it's blocked?

Use the air con, saves you going through all this fuss.

Also by keeping your air con running it will keep the gases flowing regularly, my father's W210 has never needed a re-gas (owned from new).

I also wind using the vent on top if the dash board also contributes to the car steaming up when surely it should help demist it?

Joe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom