clk w208 230k overheating

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dotmikes

Car
Mercedes CLK 230K 2001
Hi,

My car has a overheating issue, the A/C doesn't seem that cold and the fan on the radiator does not come at all. The only way to keep it steady is to have the heater on full.

I have replaced the thermostat and still no joy.

I have checked all fuses and they are working fine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
07969-156-077

Assuming you are referring to the fan between radiator and the engine?

This should switch on at around 98c and is not fused. It is normally a replacement fan that comes with a new controller. Try Dronsfields.

If you mean the the fan in front of the rad? That is an A/C fan and will not come on till around 110c. That is normal.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

it is the fan (1big fan) between the rad and engine.

it overheated one night and started steaming from the coolant tank/lid... the temp has gone past 120c and the fan still has not come on. It overheats while being idle so the only way to keep it cool is drive or turn up the heaters.

thank you for replying.

Okay.

I would say (I stand corrected as I do not know this particular model) that the fan controller has failed. On the W203 (and others) this is part of the main fan assembly and is built into the fan shroud at the bottom right (as you look into the engine bay). It fills up with crud. I believe that it is not a separate part and you have to replace the fan assembly (that is a DIY job).

You could try removing the fan and shroud to see if there is any obvious crud that you can remove in an effort to fix it. Failing that, it will be a replacement from either Dronsfields or Mercedes.

i supplied 12v to the fan and it started.

is this part you are on about seprate then i take it ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom