CLK W208 Conv Windows Not allowing doo to shut

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chris clk320

Car
CLK 320 conv. W124 e220 coup
Dear All,

I have just bought a 2000 CLK320 convertible W208 The windows strike the canvass of the roof when shutting making it difficult to shut the door without either slamming it shut, probably not a good idea or lowering the window a bit. The passenger side has the same problem but not as much.

I noticed the issue whilst I was checking the car over. Rang my local dealer who confirmed that the window should lower 1/4 inch and then go back up when closed, he thought it was either the Window control module or Roof control module. Quite an expensive job, so I reduced the price by another £500 and got a full warranty on the car making sure it would cover this issue.

HOWEVER, I now read on some forums that certain age CLK's the windows didnt drop down on closing and opening, my previous W208 2001 coupe did but my Brother inlaws 99V CLK320 conv doesnt and his doors shut just fine.

So my question is should the windows drop the 1/2 an inch which would solve the issue and it probably is the window control module or should they stay fixed in which case I have an alighment problem.

Might it be possible that teh windows are going too high or that they need resetting

Hope this makes sense.

Apreciate your thoughts.

Regards

Chris

My SLK has the same problem but only with the drivers door. Just after i got it i went out one morning and thought some-one had been trying to force the glass open but quickly realised it was just hitting the rubber and all was ok. Annoying though.

Alan

My Clk does not lower the windows except in the winter,when it's really frosty then they drop and reseal. Is mine broken?

Last edited:
alan, your slk possibly needs a new window glass due to broken stops - sadly a very common problem and certainly one that will have come up before on this forum and others.

chris, i suspect that as you say your model does not have the drop down feature, possibly then it needs adjustment which is not too bad a job. one does have to wonder however why this has happened.

Thanks Alexander is there any threads on how to adjust the windows.

My rear quater light has been tampered with following a breakin I think

Thanks Alexander is there any threads on how to adjust the windows.

My rear quater light has been tampered with following a breakin I think

Chris

If you have the "drop down" feature it may have to be reset.
Reset typically needed when power is disconnected from the battery.

To reset just hold the switch for a few seconds after the window fully goes down.
You may or may not hear a low audible that indicates it is reset.

Try it and post the results...

Ed A.

Thanks RBYCC,

Just tried it lowering the front windows and rear windows and holding for 10 secs, nothing audible and no difference.

I really need to find out whether it should be dropping down or not, then I will know if its a window adjustment issue or module issue.

Thanks again

Chris

Hi chris i had same prob om my s class when you push the button down press gently I E not on auto down or up when it reaches the bottom hold the button gently mind when you hear a noise coming from it switch of the ignition while still hold the button and repeat proccedure on closing window >>>WAS doing it wrong but i got there in the end

Right thanks Jamie, Off to the garage to try itt out will let you know.

But can anyone tell me whether it should drop down in the first place.

Cheers

Chris

On my 2001 W208 they did drop, I assume yours should too, does the window work on the switch? do the seats go backwards and forwards?

I assume you mean the Cabriolet Roof switch, the manual says that they should work with a double touch of the roof switch either putting them all up after the roof has been put up or down but on my car this doesnt work.

Yes the go backwards and forwards when back is tilted or when you use the seat tilt handle?!?

Try taking the fuse out that powers then windows, then putting it back in.
On mine it seemed to 'lose' the control unit in the door and doing this reconnected it all.

had this too, this is what was done on mine - there is a little rubber seal under each door - if you remove that you can see a little adjuster (cant remember if its a nut or screwdriver jobbie) if you turn clockwise or anti clockwise it will lower or raise the window an amount - to which you can adjust to what you need, making the door close correctly -

Last edited:
Dear All its going into MB on Monday to have a look and adjust so I will confirm once and for all!!

Regards

Chris

I had the same issue on mine, pretty easy fix too....

The windows do not drop when shutting the door on the w208 clk convertable.
You can however adjust the height of the windows manualy....

Open the car door, under the door are 2-3 rubber bungs, if you remove the bungs there are 2 star bolts, 1 either side of the door length.
I was told you had to remove the door card to do this but...i managed to find this much quicker way.
You can use the head of a long allen bolt to turn these star adjusters. they seem to fit quite well....from memory either a 5 or 6mm bolt 80mm long would do the trick, the window mech then moves up / down very slightly. It may take a while to get the height right but turn them equil amounts little at a time and you will get the right height......

You can also resent the windows but i dont think this will help you, i had to do this as my windows were down while i had a flat battery...pretty sure its hold down for 10 secs then up for 10...this is only to set the quick speed single push feature on the windows though.

Nicky, I can assure you that on my 2001 X CLK320 convertible the windows did drop when you opened the door!

Soft reset for CLK (works on most Mercs).

(Please note: door card and all components must be connected for this to work successfully)

Engine running, door(s) closed.

1. Raise glass (1st click on toggle) to CLOSED position.

2. Lower glass (1st click on toggle) to fully OPEN position and hold for 3 SECONDS after motor stops... then, without letting go:

3. Fully depress switch and hold for futher 5 SECONDS.

4. Raise glass to CLOSED poition (1st click on toggle) and hold for 3 SECONDS after motor stops... then, without letting go:

5. Fully depress switch and hold for futher 5 SECONDS.

(soft) reset complete.

Dear All,

The car went into MB as I havent really the time at the moment 6month old and a new bussiness!! doesnt give me time to play with my car.

They confirmed that a 2000 CLK320 sport regisetered 15th April did not have the up and down windows when the door was opened, they said it was in 200 when this changed and later W208's would have this feature.

They adjusted the windows for me probably how Nicky decribed and now it all shuts lovely.

One problem solved thanks for all of your advice, then this morning I awoke to find that some lovely asbo has stolen my three pointed star!!

These things are set to try us!!

Fair play some people realy are Bas****ds!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom