CLK w208 Convertible roof won't close

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mcbeathclk

Car
W208 CLK Convertible
My roof has stopped closing. Opens fine using the switch on the console. But when you try to close it nothing happens. The switch lights up to open the roof but doesn't light up the you try to close it. I can close it manually so am not stuck. Could it be a switch or a relay problem?
The problem started when I left the roof part closed to lubricate the hinges and pivot points on the frame.
Car is a 2001 230 Compressor W208
Bye, John

Probably the simplest way to sort it, is to get it diagnosed on STAR.

You could be chasing you tail for ages changing parts and still not curing it.

Hi, Thanks for your reply. Is the Star system MB only or would an independent auto electrician have an equivalent system. I was thinking, before paying for that, of disconnecting the battery to power everything off and then seeing if that does anything. Also wondered if, as the switch isn't lighting up at all in down mode, if it could be a relay? Are there separate wiring circuits for up and down? The car is now off to the body shop to get new wings etc. so I can't play with it for a week or so.

Hi, I now have a list of fault codes. It's an alarmingly long list. The ones which look like they could be relevant are as follows.
04 RVC Rollover bar soft top control module - (Listed twice)
B1650-001 Fault in soft top actuation process. The switch status of a limit switch is not plausible.
B1057 Fault in CAN communication with control unit N70 (Overhead control panel control unit)
The symptoms are that the rook opens and folds away perfectly. When you try to close it nothing happens. The red light on the switch doesn't light up and I don't hear the relay clicking.
I have tried to reset the rollover bar by following the sequence on the forum. I can't hear any click at either end of travel though they are working OK with the switch on the dash. That switch does however flash on startup.
Any help appreciated. Is there a decent independent in my area - Dundee - who could fix this?
John.

The switch is supposed to flash as part of the self test at startup so thats normal. A common fault is for one of the limit switches to fail so the roof module has no way to see where the roof has got to.

From what I can see, B1650-001 is the limit switch for the roll bar position, I guess it does not know where the roll bar is so unless it can confirm its lowered the closing will not work.

Hi, I thought that could be the problem and followed a sequence I found on line to reset by raising and lowering the roll bar. The sequence said that at the end of travel I would hear a click. The click is missing! Is there a way to manually reset? I come across a video on youtube for the later W209 model which involved poking a long rod done the side of the head rests. It this the same system for the W208?
Thanks for your help!
Bye,
John

The reset for the Roll Over is used when they have activated. You then press and hold the UP button for around ten seconds until you hear the mechanism re-engage(click) then it will lower again. If yours already operates up and down, theres nothing to reset on that part, do check the limit switches though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom