CLK W208 Engine lurching and stalling during traffic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeperKing

Hi Guys,

Over last several months, my W208 has infrequently stalled, during light traffic. My trusted indy couldn't see anything amiss during it's service. Since then, and after doing a long trip during the weekend, it's has noticeably started to lurch and stall during slow traffic. On motorways, there's no issues, only during driving on low gears. I *think* I can hear backfiring when the lurching is happening. There's over 150K on the clock.

There's no error codes in the dash, but could a STAR diagnostic make the issue a lot easier to solve? I'm debating whether to go back to the indy or got to a mercedes garage.

Thanks in advance,
LK.

I would definitely get STAR diagnostic done as it could be caused by several things but a good indie should have this equipment to read it for you :thumb:

Could be a simple as a faulty air mass sensor. It needs a Star.

I would also say the MAF.
unplug it and see if the car stops stalling.
PS if you are supercharged, this will stop working when you unplug the MAF just so you know.

Don't unplug the maf. It achieves nothing other than logging a fault code.

Thanks for the advice guys, my indy did have a diagnostic, so he's seen oxygen warnings, but unable to see anything amiss in the engine. So eventually after driving it hard on the motorway for 20 mins, he believes the issue has being pushed out through the exhaust. Not sure what it could have been, but the car is moving off a lot smoother now. There still remains an idle stability issue, in which he a thinks throttle body replacement will resolve, but we'll find out tomorrow if it fixes it.

Thanks,
LK.

Does he have a Star?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom