CLK W208 Gearbox and Oil.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spike60

Car
500 SEC, E320 cdi estate, BMW Z3 2.8, Porsche 944 2.7
I have a 1999/2000 CLK 320 5 speed. Can anyone tell me which gearbox it has and which oil it takes? Am I right with 722.6 box and 236.10 oil? Thanks!

Hi,
You are correct, you have a 722.6 gearbox, regarding the fluid it seems a bit of a minefield out there regarding suitability and lots of conflicting opinions on this. Personnally I would only use MB stuff then there is no doubt.
Don,t forget you will need to either make or buy a dipstick for the gearbox as there is,nt one with the car, be aware that you cannot drain the torque convertor separetly to drain this you will need to release the ATF cooler pipes. If you look in the forum index there is a "how to" which covers the ATT filter as well.

You're right about the minefield, Autodata 2009, my very good local Motor Factors and our experienced and helpful rep from GB oils at work all say Dexron III or equivilant, other sources say differently. I'll probably go MB though it goes against the grain a little as MB don't make oil, so I'll be paying them to to put their logo on someone elses oil.

Read this thread on how to change the ATF, then take it to a good indy.

If you're anywhere near Portsmouth take it to PCS in Horndean. BlackC55, who wrote the HowTo, is the boss and will do a first class job for considerably less than an MB workshop would charge. Many on here travel from near and far to PCS for the quality of the work.

Read this thread on how to change the ATF, then take it to a good indy.

If you're anywhere near Portsmouth take it to PCS in Horndean. BlackC55, who wrote the HowTo, is the boss and will do a first class job for considerably less than an MB workshop would charge. Many on here travel from near and far to PCS for the quality of the work.
Thanks, when I said I would go MB I meant for the oil, as a diesel tech of 30 odd years I'll change it myself though I'll always ask and listen when doing something for the 1st time.

Do have a look at the "how to", regarding draining, if you just drop the gearbox sump you will only be replacing just over half of the atf, and its worth looking to see the method Olly has for draining the rest of the fluid as the torque convertor has no drain.

The best oils available now meet mb236.14 and are compatible with 7g boxes as well. A bit more expensive but far better oil

The best oils available now meet mb236.14 and are compatible with 7g boxes as well. A bit more expensive but far better oil
As the box has done 190k with what looks like the original oil in I'm not sure the extra investment will be justified!:)

Fair enough then febi fluid can be got from ecp for a reasonable price and this meets mb236.10.

While you are at it, check that the electrical connection to the transmission is not leaking too. A fairly simple job to change. Only use MB oil which is synthetic.

Attachments

• DSC07518 (Medium).JPG
    DSC07518 (Medium).JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 59
Box is very clean, dry and smooth for the miles but a bit wayward in S setting. I'll do oil, filter and ecu reset before any thing else.

Box is very clean, dry and smooth for the miles but a bit wayward in S setting. I'll do oil, filter and ecu reset before any thing else.

Hi,
The pill bush seal went on my AMG it was dry on the outside of the box the same as yours, they have a tendency to allow the atf to wick along the loom inside the car and the first thing you know there is a pool of oil in the passenger side footwell under the carpet and the soundproofing the only way I found this was when i removed the carpet to run a wiring loom in, the oil can wick its way right to the gearbox ECU and into it. This pilot bush pt. No. Has been modified and superseded around twenty times in its life and because there only in the region of £20 I would replace it as a matter of course.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom