CLK w209 2003 Double Din Fitting Any cutting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UKChris

Car
CLK320
Hello

As some may know, I have purchased a 2003 (52 plate) CLK W209 to replace my W208. I am considering fitting this unit from Halfords
Halfords | Pioneer AVH-X3500DAB DAB Car Radio/CD Player

It is a Double Din fitting, and they will fit it for me. I just want to check before I order that no cutting of metal will be required to replace the existing Audio 10 and plastic stowage tray beneath it. Will someone also confirm that a new fascia plate will be needed, too.

I will add the Ipod control cable too, as this seems to mean that I can watch my iphone output on the screen (possibly for Sat nav on iPhone?)Cable is
Pioneer CA-iW201S (£27.99)

No cutting but you will need a fascia adapter plate

I just fitted a Pioneer App radio into mine, I had to cut some plastic between the single din where the original stereo sat, and a single din hole that was filled with a cubby box. I thought maybe it might have originally been fitted with a command head unit as all the fibre optics, steering wheel remote and phone cables are still in the rear of the aperture.

Hi Paul,

I think even the basic Audio 10 head units use fibre optic connections for CD changers and they have steering wheel controls etc :)

Please be careful about letting someone not used to taking Mercedes apart onto your pride and joy.

There are some very very good Halfords fitters - this is ruined by a number of people who don't know when they don't know. I watched one in Reading take about an hour to change a battery and still doing up the live nut whilst the earth was connected (a good way to get a red hot spanner or a lot worse).

Ensure they know how to take it apart before they go near it. (remove gear stick surround, then ashtray, then there are 2 clips that hold the bottom of the panel in, or 2 TX20, depending on exact age). If they can't tell you that, don't let them near.

It is ISO, but there will probably be no ignition signal, so they will have to get it from the cigarette lighter. Same with the 'lights on' signal. You will need a fascia adapter. You may want steering wheel interface too.

Fibre will be there if car has any of the fibre optic options (CDC, Phone, Voice recogniton (cars with COMAND), BOSE ...).

I assume your car does not have BOSE as its very unlikely if you don't have COMAND otherwise they'll have real issue installing !

Richard

Thanks for the comments. It was fitted by Halfords on Thursday, and to be fair, their fitter knew exactly what he was doing in taking the old unit out. As said above it was an iso fitting, and the steering controls work, but in an unexpected way.

I am very impressed with the Pioneer unit, though not 100% sure i made the right decision about the glass mount DAB aerial. I know i could have got broader channel range with a better aerial, but i did not want to spoil the external lines of the car, or have any holesdrilled into my roof. For now, I will see how it goes and upgrade it if necessary.

The phone integration is first class - easy and clear call clarity at both ends of the line.
The best thing about the DAB on this unit is that there are 18 presets on the touchscreen - much better than any other system I have seen previously.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom