CLK W209 (2007) Brake Judder

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

eblok

Car
W209 CLK Sport
Hi all,

I've read all the other threads about brake judder and things to check but I though I would ask about my specific issue...

The car is a 2007 CLK220 CDI Sport. I commute 100 miles in total per day, all of it motorway except about 5 miles. Partly because of the brake judder and partly because of 'driving for economy' I only use the brakes about 3 times each way. On the motorway I leave enough gap to the car in front I dont need to brake. This driving style is not likely to make the situation any better as I'm not using the brakes much, but I used to drive around town too and still the same.

The brakes have been juddering in some form for a long time now. I've tried to gradually eliminate the problem, sometimes it improves slightly for a while, sometimes not. At the moment braking is so 'harsh' every time I touch the brakes I just want to get rid of the car. Anyway...

First thing I changed front discs and pads. I took the car onto a rolling road when the judder first started, back brakes smooth, front all over the place. Turned out they were about at their wear limit anyway so seemed a decent place to start. While I was changing the fronts I took some measurements of the back - OK but would need doing soon. The judder improved for a few weeks (not gone completely, but a lot less noticeable). Then it came back.

I assumed this was now the back discs worn out so changed rear discs and pads. Again, possibly a small improvement (maybe just hope in my mind) for a week but then back to as it was before.

As things got worse I was due a service and MOT so took it into the MB dealer. Failed the MOT on worn front thrust arms. Got them both replaced and was also told to get the front tyres done as they were showing 'irregular wear' on the inner edge, probably because of the thrust arms. MB ensured me that changing these arms (at an extortionate cost) would solve the judder... no such luck. The paperwork from the service says they took the car for a road test and didnt notice anything unusual though... Hmmm...

Took the car to my local tyre place who sorted the tyres out OK and told me to monitor them as the others were comparable to a track-day car :( While it was up on their lift with the tyres off I checked the runouts of all my discs which were all below 0.1mm total indicated runout. This was a relief as I wondered if I had warped the new discs. I was told the new tyres might solve the problem, but again, no such luck. Small steering wheel vibration when driving was sorted, but not the heavy judder on braking.

After a week the new tyres were wearing in the same place so got MB to do a full wheel alignment as I didnt want the new tyres to go the same way as before. Apparently there was nothing wrong, yet it took 4 of them 1.5 hours and they didnt charge me at the end which suggests they missed something on the service. Still, not going to complain at free alignment, especially from a MB dealer. Tyres now wearing OK which is a positive. Brakes still just as bad.

Now the brakes are so juddery that if I touch them on the motorway at 70mph its basically 'bang bang bang' as the car judders. Its very aggressive. Worse than ABS firing. Surprisingly, the harder I press the brake pedal, the smoother everything gets. Ie, slamming v. hard on the brakes its as smooth as you would expect and I stop in minimal distance, but just touching the brake is terrible at any speed. Even on a wet road I can't get the ABS to fire by slamming on the brakes, but then I never skid when braking either.

Anyone got any ideas. I wonder about wheel bearings but then during my MOT and service I got them to check it and they said everything was fine.At 60mph there is a bit of a high pitched whirr, so this could be a wheel bearing indication, or just the rear wheels on the road as unfortunately they still have the notorious V treads that are really noisy. My disks are shiny on the front but could I have a load of corrosion on the back of the disc?

As I say, I'm getting pretty fed up with this and though the car drives and accelerates excellently, the braking is taking the fun out and is wearing me down...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

eblok

I expect your discs only warp when hot. I expect the fronts are causing the issue as it is quite common on a 209.

You may find that the front hubs are corroded between the disc and the hub. Remove the discs and check them.

I have had this before that the warp was so bad it also warped the hubs too.

Also the caliper could be sticking, shouldnt cause the judder you describe but we have had to have quite a few refurbed.

One cheap brake tweak to try is to renew the sliding caliper pins. FRONT WHEEL BRAKE BRAKES íà Mercedes CLK 220 CDI (209.308) | Êàòàëîã çàï÷àñòåé Mercedes, ïîäáîð àâòîçàï÷àñòåé äëÿ ëåãêîâûõ àâòîìîáèëåé Ìåðñåäåñ (ðåãèîí Åâðîïà) ïî àâòîêàòàëîãó. These can get bent/corroded and effect braking. Problem with brakes is that discs and pads can be renewed and this cures problems for a time -- however if the basic problem has not been addressed-- warped/corroded hub face or defective calipers this rapidly causes disc overheating and you are back to square one with warped discs and the original fault.

help

Hi all,

I've read all the other threads about brake judder and things to check but I though I would ask about my specific issue...

The car is a 2007 CLK220 CDI Sport. I commute 100 miles in total per day, all of it motorway except about 5 miles. Partly because of the brake judder and partly because of 'driving for economy' I only use the brakes about 3 times each way. On the motorway I leave enough gap to the car in front I dont need to brake. This driving style is not likely to make the situation any better as I'm not using the brakes much, but I used to drive around town too and still the same.

The brakes have been juddering in some form for a long time now. I've tried to gradually eliminate the problem, sometimes it improves slightly for a while, sometimes not. At the moment braking is so 'harsh' every time I touch the brakes I just want to get rid of the car. Anyway...

First thing I changed front discs and pads. I took the car onto a rolling road when the judder first started, back brakes smooth, front all over the place. Turned out they were about at their wear limit anyway so seemed a decent place to start. While I was changing the fronts I took some measurements of the back - OK but would need doing soon. The judder improved for a few weeks (not gone completely, but a lot less noticeable). Then it came back.

I assumed this was now the back discs worn out so changed rear discs and pads. Again, possibly a small improvement (maybe just hope in my mind) for a week but then back to as it was before.

As things got worse I was due a service and MOT so took it into the MB dealer. Failed the MOT on worn front thrust arms. Got them both replaced and was also told to get the front tyres done as they were showing 'irregular wear' on the inner edge, probably because of the thrust arms. MB ensured me that changing these arms (at an extortionate cost) would solve the judder... no such luck. The paperwork from the service says they took the car for a road test and didnt notice anything unusual though... Hmmm...

Took the car to my local tyre place who sorted the tyres out OK and told me to monitor them as the others were comparable to a track-day car :( While it was up on their lift with the tyres off I checked the runouts of all my discs which were all below 0.1mm total indicated runout. This was a relief as I wondered if I had warped the new discs. I was told the new tyres might solve the problem, but again, no such luck. Small steering wheel vibration when driving was sorted, but not the heavy judder on braking.

After a week the new tyres were wearing in the same place so got MB to do a full wheel alignment as I didnt want the new tyres to go the same way as before. Apparently there was nothing wrong, yet it took 4 of them 1.5 hours and they didnt charge me at the end which suggests they missed something on the service. Still, not going to complain at free alignment, especially from a MB dealer. Tyres now wearing OK which is a positive. Brakes still just as bad.

Now the brakes are so juddery that if I touch them on the motorway at 70mph its basically 'bang bang bang' as the car judders. Its very aggressive. Worse than ABS firing. Surprisingly, the harder I press the brake pedal, the smoother everything gets. Ie, slamming v. hard on the brakes its as smooth as you would expect and I stop in minimal distance, but just touching the brake is terrible at any speed. Even on a wet road I can't get the ABS to fire by slamming on the brakes, but then I never skid when braking either.

Anyone got any ideas. I wonder about wheel bearings but then during my MOT and service I got them to check it and they said everything was fine.At 60mph there is a bit of a high pitched whirr, so this could be a wheel bearing indication, or just the rear wheels on the road as unfortunately they still have the notorious V treads that are really noisy. My disks are shiny on the front but could I have a load of corrosion on the back of the disc?

As I say, I'm getting pretty fed up with this and though the car drives and accelerates excellently, the braking is taking the fun out and is wearing me down...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

eblok

Hello, I wanted to send you a private message about this but I have no idea how too.

I too am having exactly the same problem with my front discs juddering on the exact same car 2007 CLK Sport cdi220.....how the hell did you resolve the issue? I hate driving it about at the moment with this, have had the front pads and discs changed but it came back after 10 days....driving me insane. Please tell me what you did to fix it!

I expect there is corrosion on the front hubs and they haven't been cleaned up properly.

When they get really bad the hubs need replacing.

My 2005 CLK 500 has recently had exactly the same problem. Hopefully it's fixed now - but only driven ~200 miles so far.

The fix was new disks, new pads + 3 hours with a dial gauge, finding the next high spot on the hub & filing it down. Repeat until run-out is less than 0.05mm.

Using 5 wheel bolts + spacers to hold the disk in place on each measurement, rather than the Torx grub screw, helped give more consistent results.

The CLK500 calipers are different in design - 2 pots on each side, no caliper slide pins to stick.

Ian.

Where to start... I have the exact same issue described in the initial post.
I owned a CLK 270 CDI (2003), manual drive. I bought it in 2011 to the first owner, the car had 150 000 km.
Since, I replaced the suspensions with Bilstein B14. Installed new front and rear EBC discs and pads, at the same time upgraded the calipers with OEM Mercedes CLK 500 calipers (330 mm diameter, 2 pistons per caliper). All brake hoses were replaced with BF Goodridge ones'.

After a few thousands km, I started to fell vibration in the braking pedal, a low speed (light braking till the car is stop) but even at high speed on the highway. The more weight in the car, the worst. I can also feel it through the steering wheel.

As I don't believe in warp discs (it's a myth, or a wrong explanation at least. I completely agree with the post about it on that forum), I thought it was due to bad cleaning of the hub surface. I dismantled all four discs (even knowing it comes from the front) the hubs were shinny, but the following road test declares the hub rust not guilty after all.

Second step was pads replacement. All of them, not guilty too. I had a slight feeling it solved it but after a few breakings it was the same.

Third step, I decided to replace the front discs, again. The EBC weren't used at all, but to be sure I did not have a real warp disc (the thing I don't believe in, yeah). I bought a pair of perforated Brembo discs. I think they lasted just fine for a 1000 km... but no more. After several pleasant drives, I started to feel vibration in the steering wheel and the braking pedal.

Fourth step, I inverted both front discs (I am pretty sure it comes from one side of the car, so I was wondering if that could make the vibrations disappear for a few km) but the vibrations started soon after (less than 300 km).

Right now... I don't know what to do.

I read here on the forum it could come from a "seized" caliper. Not sure I understand what that means (not native english, I'm french). Could someone explain that to me ?

Or could it come from a warped hub... ?!
When I see the sickness of it, I can't imagine it to bend. Anyway, I used a gauge to check the circularity and both front hubs seem fine.

I have the feeling the culprit is on the left side, don't ask me to explain how or why, but I feel it.
Having tested the car after inverting both front discs, and based on several topics and feedbacks here, I suspect the caliper to be damaged.
Note: The ones I bought came from the US, a CLK 500, professional dealer. The calipers were perfectly packaged. I checked the pistons prior installation, everything looked fine. After installation, the braking network purged, I could move by hand all the pistons easily. So I had no worries about the calipers...
But still, now I suspect the (left) caliper.

Does anyone has a way to ensure that one of both calipers are defective... ?
Any help is welcome :)

This issue is usually caused buy corroded hubs. They warp the discs. Seen it so many times.

Fit genuine discs and pads and use a flap disc to clean the hub surface.

Just a note: Check the lower arm ball joints for play too. When they are really worn they vibrate under braking.

Thanks for your feedback BlackC55.

The hubs were brushed, almost shinning. I did it twice.
So I'm pretty sure it does not come from the hubs.

I'll check the lower arm ball joints for play. Did not think about that.

What is a seized caliper ?

I've been battling a brake judder problem with my 2005 W203 Sport Pack for almost 2 years. I'm on the 4th set of disks ( 2 lots of Pagid and 2 lots of Brembo) which only seem to go a few 1000 miles before the judder returns. Indie informs me that hubs and bearings are fine (no corrosion). These have been removed, stripped down and re-greased. No evidence of any warping and run out checked on re-installation of new disks. Callipers were stripped down last time and Indy reported that one of the pistons might have been sticking so cleaned up and re-assembled. Problem has returned after just 1000 miles. I also get a pulsing (not ABS) when braking at very low speed, i.e. pulling up at traffic lights.

Replacing callipers seem to be the next option but obviously an expensive one if the problem is only going to return. These are the larger aluminium fixed callipers with a piston either side so I imagine it would be possible for uneven disc wear to occur if the pistons are producing unequal forces.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

moosehead said:
I've been battling a brake judder problem with my 2005 W203 Sport Pack for almost 2 years. I'm on the 4th set of disks ( 2 lots of Pagid and 2 lots of Brembo) which only seem to go a few 1000 miles before the judder returns. Indie informs me that hubs and bearings are fine (no corrosion). These have been removed, stripped down and re-greased. No evidence of any warping and run out checked on re-installation of new disks. Callipers were stripped down last time and Indy reported that one of the pistons might have been sticking so cleaned up and re-assembled. Problem has returned after just 1000 miles. I also get a pulsing (not ABS) when braking at very low speed, i.e. pulling up at traffic lights. Replacing callipers seem to be the next option but obviously an expensive one if the problem is only going to return. These are the larger aluminium fixed callipers with a piston either side so I imagine it would be possible for uneven disc wear to occur if the pistons are producing unequal forces. Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Had this on my W203 Wagon. Check all the suspension for weak or worn bushes also worth bleeding and refilling the brake fluid.

I did exactly what you have done. It was really bad at low speed.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Suspension also checked and brake fluid replaced / re-bled last time. It's fine for the first 1000 miles or so after the disks are replaced and then the problem returns so there must be something causing uneven wear even though the disks / hubs appear to be running true. Did you get to the bottom of your problem?

moosehead said:
Did you get to the bottom of your problem?

Well we thought we had. But then Mrs M write the car off. Not a brake fault.

But like you it was always okay for a few weeks after discs and pads being replaced.

We then had new arms, links and bushes and all seemed well. Yes we also had the hubs cleaned, brushed, checked etc. Wheel bearings were also nipped up. But it would come back.

Well we thought we had. But then Mrs M write the car off. Not a brake fault.

But like you it was always okay for a few weeks after discs and pads being replaced.

We then had new arms, links and bushes and all seemed well. Yes we also had the hubs cleaned, brushed, checked etc. Wheel bearings were also nipped up. But it would come back.

Had the exact same issue with a Vauxhall Omega 10 years ago... new discs, pads, hubs, wheel bearings.... the problem always came back after a while. Eventually I Pxed it for the Merc so never found out what it was.

Maybe some of the indies would be kind enough to share there thoughts on this before I go down the route of replacing the callipers.

Interestingly we took the car down to France last summer. Problem was too bad before we started but after several hundred miles of high speed motoring on the autoroute the problem became really bad. To me this suggests the discs aren't running parallel and repeated 'kissing' of the pads has resulted in uneven disc wear. Could the callipers cause this even though the run out was checked and found to be fine when the new discs were fitted?

I'm kind of "happy" not to be the only one struggling with that!

And still, the problem is running on my CLK... :/

The progress I made from last year is that I had the confirmation the vibration comes from the front left caliper only. We identified it on a breaking test machine. No mistake about that.

Did not find a play in the suspension arms so as I see it the clue is the caliper.
I found on eBay piston repair kit... might want to try one and see how it goes. Or find a used caliper.

So far I was not able to meet the competent person to explain me the cause of that ****ty breaking sensation... That's a real pity.

My indie has just replaced the left side calliper with a MB re-manufactured unit so fingers crossed this will resolve the problem. The sport pack calliper has two pistons so I guess if one is sticking you can end up with a situation where there are unequal forces that will then cause the disc to warp/wear unevenly.

Maybe it's something to do with the fact that these are aluminium callipers and you end up with corrosion between the calliper body and piston. I've had this with the brake pins before where they have had to be cut off / drilled out.

There do seem to be several firms out there that re-furbish callipers so maybe this is a more cost effective solution than the MB option?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom