CLK W209 320; soft top issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blueperil

Car
CLK W208 320
Hi all,
Appreciate being allowed to join, and thank you in advance for advice.
I have read dozens of other threads about soft top issues but can't find an answer to my problem.

If possible looking for some advice - problems with my soft top on 2001 W208 320 - suddenly non functional

Could be related to a battery disconnect I had to do to remove steering wheel to change indicator stalk.

Tried to operate roof yesterday - works fine usually, and no good. The roof will not move and there is no illumination on the red switch.
Roll bars did go up and down on switch but don't now.
The release handle triggers all windows down but that's as far as things go, and they won't shut unless key off and back on again - so think it's stuck in sequence.

I have run a rest on the Windows, and yesterday a reset on the roll bars but they won't move now (stuck in raised position).

I have plugged it in and no fault codes are stored.

Have checked the micro switch is engaged in the boot by the screen, and have now removed the bulk head in the back to check relay and pump reservoir.
Both look ok, I've cleaned up the relay and put back but no change.

What I find strange is that there's no illumination on the roof switch at all.
I have checked all the fuses in nth fuse boxes.

I shall replace the relay I guess, but just wondering if anyone has any tips on this?

Thanks in advance.

Chris.

Last edited:
The light being out on the switch sounds like a failure of the softtop control module, N52 as this should illuminate with a certain sequecne of flashes to indicate what the problem should be.

You can swap the pump relay with the fuel pump relay to test as they have the same pin configuration. Do check fuse in circuit 30 though.

With Mark above. Just a quick question, it is a 208 and not a 209 as in the heading!?

Thanks for the replies
Yes 208

Which unit is the control unit?
Presume fuel pump relay is one by the spare tyre ?

Many thanks

Thanks for the replies
Yes 208

Which unit is the control unit?
Presume fuel pump relay is one by the spare tyre ?

Many thanks

Hi Guys

replaced with new relay, still no good.

How certain are you chaps about it being the control unit?
I only ask as theres no codes displayed when I plug in, and a second hand ones going to cost me 200-300£

Is there a way to test it at all?
Or does anyone know of any companies who refurbish these units at all?

Thanks in anticipation

Just as a last resort, try charging the battery, and the disconnecting for ten seconds.
These are very susceptible to battery voltage and the disconnect will do a full reset.
You will of course have to enter the radio code, reset the srs system and normalise the front windows.

Thanks Ted, tried this and no different unfortunately.

Going to go down the route of getting a second hand control unit and will post for anyone else following this, the result.

Thanks for your time though guys.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom