CLK (w209) Ashtray cover not closing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leabrooks

Car
CLK 270 CDI
Hi I started putting my works pass (a photo credit card sized jobby) in the ashtray of the CLK w209 (05) for easy access at the gatehouse and it must of slipped as I couldn't open the ashtray cover easily this morning. Anyway a hard push opened it but now it wont 'latch' closed. Any ideas? Is it a hard job to remove and fix?

To remove the ashtray you pull up the centre console trim from the front edge. Usually this is done with the ashtray open to make it easier.
You can then see two clips that hold the ashtray in - push them so the ashtray unclips, then just unplug the wires.
Not sure how easy it will be with ashtray stuck closed.

Ted said:
To remove the ashtray you pull up the centre console trim from the front edge. Usually this is done with the ashtray open to make it easier. You can then see two clips that hold the ashtray in - push them so the ashtray unclips, then just unplug the wires. Not sure how easy it will be with ashtray stuck closed.

Getting your fingers under the gear surround trim when the ashtray is closed will be tricky! :)

The ashtray cover is stuck open, it wont stay closed, so thanks I'll have a look tomorrow and prise the gear selector trim out and have a look as I changed the thermostat today...car now warm at half way (80) within 4 miles! Oh and i have some decent heat coming from the heater instead of a luke warm breeze (not good when it was -3C the other morning!).

That is good! The centre trim feels very tight the first time you try, but trust me it comes out fine. Pull from the leading edge where the ashtray closes to.

I'll give a try tomorrow Ted, thanks. Its bl££dy annoying that my cars nearly 10 years old and in excellent condition and after ownership of all of one week and I've broken the flamin ashtray lid by putting a plastic card in it!! Grrrrrr

Unfortunately there are a few cheaply built bits on the CLK, after all it has to be built to a price but don't get me wrong mine puts a smile on my face ever time I take it out!

Got to agree even my oil burning CLK puts a smile on my face.....wish I'd had one years ago!

For anyone who needs guidance on the ashtray removal heres a quick guide for a CLK W209 Auto (2005 model):

1) Prise up the chrome trim ring around the gearshift with your finger nails
2) Prise up the front of the central trim near the ashtray. Its fastened in by lugs in strong spring clips so may require a good tug to free the lugs.
3) Put the gearshift into N or D. BUT you will not be able to get past the Park lockout position so...
4) Open the central armrest to its lower compartment (below the phone point). Open the 'safe'. There's a lever on the passenger side of the lower compartment, push it down and pull the safe drawer out. Behind the drawer right at the back is a hole, using a longish screwdriver or similar push the screwdriver into the hole and push, this will release the Park lock out and allow you to move the shifter into N or D.
5) Remove the central surround by rotating through about 90 degrees and lifting over the gearstick (no need to undo the actual gear knob or to remove the gaiter).
6) The ashtray assembly will now lift out, no screws to undo.
7) Check the closing shutting mechanism on the left side of the ashtray. It looked like mine didn't have enough 'spring' to lock the mechanism when the ashtray lid was in the closed position. So to fix it i cut a small piece of foam from a kitchen sponge and placed in the mechanism to give it the required spring to lock.
8) Reinstall in reverse order, making sure the prong on the rear of the central surround is home before pushing the 2 front lugs back in.

Hope that helps someone.

Last edited:
Why did you need to overcome the park lockout?
Just turn the ignition on, foot on brake and move the lever.
Also, you should be able to remove the centre trim without removing the chrome ring - pull it up and over the lever and there is enough room to remove the ashtray.

Anyway glad you got it sorted - even better, it cost nothing :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom