CLK W209 - Belt or chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

kickin'fm

Car
W209 CLK55 AMG
Hi folks,

I've used the search function on here and done a general skoot around the web, but can anyone confirm if this model has a timing belt or chain? If belt, I'm guessing it needs doing around 75k, right?

Cheers
David

Timing chain - 150k miles ;)

There's nothing in the Haynes regarding ever changing the timing chain, although I guess they must stretch beyond what the tensioner can take up eventually.
My C220 has 151k on the clock at present, should I worry immediately, and is it a costly job to get done??

There's nothing in the Haynes regarding ever changing the timing chain, although I guess they must stretch beyond what the tensioner can take up eventually.
My C220 has 151k on the clock at present, should I worry immediately, and is it a costly job to get done??

The duplex chains should last the life of the car without issue.

The simplex chains need more inspections and care. Having said that, my car is now showing 166,000+ and is still on it's original simplex chain and is showing no wear at all on the chain or the tensioner. And being a 2.3-16 it will have been driven hard all it's life.

But at the end of the day, its all down to how well serviced the car has been over the years. A car that has not had fresh oil at the specified service intervals will be more prone to chain wear and broken guides and tensioner.

When I first bought my 320CDI (OM613), I asked the "timing chain" question at MB Macclesfield and was told to come back for a precautionary check at 400,000 miles. ;)

Well, I believe mine to be a duplex chain, so should be ok then, thanks for the info.

I was told that don't need to change it.

Strange...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom