clk w209 correct oil grade

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ash1212002

Car
W204 c250 cgi facelift petrol 2011
Hi

What is the correct oil grade, my service book states mobile 1 5w30 done by mercedes, i've contacted opie oils who have advised 5w30 or 0w30 is suitable but will consume oil as they are thinner and therefore they recommend 0w-40 or 5w-40 :confused:

Is there a definitive answer to this? what should I go for? :dk:

57 plate clk coupe w209 petrol automatic

Cheers

As long as it meets MB 229.5 spec.
All the viscosities you list have approved oils on the sheet.
We buy our oil directly from MB and its 5w40

Simple answer is I don't think it matters that much. In my owners handbook there is only an oil spec of 229.3 or 229.5. When you look at the approved oils for those specs I think all of the viscosity types you have mentioned are listed but there are more approved oils in 5W40 rating so I've assumed that was the one to go for.

My car is always in a warm garage but if I left it outside I would more inclined to use a 0w40 or 0w30 oil for better cold oil flow.

is it true as opie oils have suggested that 5w30 or 0w30 will consume oil on the clk, if this is the case why do mercedes use this grade when servicing

If it's any help mine has covered 117,000 miles on mostly Mobil 1 0w40 and does not use any oil between services.

Russ

+1 for Mobil 1 0W-40, 0w gives quick protection in the cold and 40 for higher mileage engines.

0w40 will that also be suitable for low mileage engines as mine has done 47k

I got rather confused myself so now only use Mobil 1, expensive but worth the extra.

I got rather confused myself so now only use Mobil 1, expensive but worth the extra.

Doesn't have to be expensive, it's been £29 for 5 litres in Costco for years & I've even managed to get it for much the same on Ebay on a few occasions. You just need to plan ahead to avoid paying through the nose. :thumb:

Russ

What grade are you using? The dealers have advised 5w30, opie oils and the guys on the forum have recommended 0w40

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom