CLK W209 glove compartment

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DodosaurusRex

Car
CLK55 AMG
Hi there,

I've got the glove compartment issue of which there are multiple youtubes about how to solve. However, I think that I may have gone past the stage as the catch has been fiddled with sufficiently and I'm worried that it maybe the actual latch which is 'gone' (from me just slamming the compartment to close and it 'working' up until recently).

From above, it looks like this:

Screenshot 2022-05-10 120019.jpg

And from the side:

Screenshot 2022-05-10 120115.jpg

Plus it if helps, a quick video:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To save me some time, does this latch look OK to you (in which case it's the catch I need to continue to re-jig again) or has something broken off?

As it's just me driving the car, I'm tempted to wire it shut somehow until I see a cheap glove compartment lid appear on eBay.
s

I think something may have broken. Here's a similar photo of mine. Note that the catch is in the 'unlocked' position.

Ian.

Catch.png

Thanks, I really appreciate that, it does look like something's broken on mine.

Thanks again,

D Rex, I know this is an old post but did you ever resolve this, new here and have this issue with the CLK350 glovebox. When you pull on the glovebox handle, does it lift the little tab that holds your latch in the lock position. When looking up through the glovebox handle, I can see a small spring that I believe should probably be attached to the right side tab and the handle so when you pull the handle, it releases the tab. Mine appears to have come off and now I can't see it again to try and reattach it. I'm now trying to figure out how to get the glovebox lid off so I can check it out without the confines of being in the car.

Okay, so I have the glovebox lid off, when latch is in closed position as pictured, handle does not work to lift little clip holding it in closed position. Looking through the other side I can see a small spring that I believe should wrap around a part of the handle inside the lid which will lift this clip but I cannot quite figure out how it has to go back on given the limited room to move. Does anyone know if the latch can be taken out of the lid and if yes, how. I don't want to go forcing anything because it all appears so fragile.

Attachments

• 20230827_134725.jpg
    20230827_134725.jpg
    581 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230827_134756.jpg
    20230827_134756.jpg
    869.8 KB · Views: 4
  • 20230827_134817.jpg
    20230827_134817.jpg
    481.1 KB · Views: 4

Users who are viewing this thread

Back