CLK W209 headrest problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

UKChris

Car
CLK320
Hello all,

I have just taken delivery of my CLK W209 (2003 reg). I bought it privately, so have no option to take it back under a warranty. It has a problem with the driver seat electric seat headrest. It won't move at all, even when the seat is tilted forward. The other seat movements all work fine, it is just the headrest that is a problem. When I operate the switch, I can hear a relay clicking.

Does this sound like a motor problem, or is there a way of resetting the unit if it has got confused?

If it is a motor, is it worth getting a 2nd hand replacement (I have no idea of costs)
Thanks
Chris

Can you hear the motor running? Sometimes the drive from the motor breaks off. Is it at the very highest point? Ours got stuck once when fully extended. A good push seemed to re seat it again. Probably you will need to take the back off the seat and have a look.

Last edited:
Took the seat back off, which was much easier than I thought it would be, and immediately saw that the headrest was not seated properly in the plastic housing. However, reseating it did not cure the problem. It is locked at highest point, yes, and does not want to move even when pushed. Does it sound like a new motor is needed?

If so, any advice on how to fit, and also where to buy one at a sensible price?

Hi Chris.,

I had a similar problem and took the motor out. On mine it was the cable between the headrest motor and the motor at the bottom. The cable was wrapped around the metal frame and over time, must of created a break in one of the four cable. I replaced the cable at a cost of about £5 (cable and heat shrink) and all work fine. I would take the motor out, undo the cable from the frame and connect the motor up and test. If that doesn't work a new motor I'm afraid. About £100 from mercedes.
Hope that helps. Good luck. Could be a 5 min job.

Last edited:
On my W209, the front passenger headrest rest won't go down fully by holding down the switch. However it does go down if I fold the seat forward.

Could you please let me know how you remove the back seat cover?

Thanks

There are some screws along the lower edge. Remove these and it should lift away.

Hi Chris.,

I had a similar problem and took the motor out. On mine it was the cable between the headrest motor and the motor at the bottom. The cable was wrapped around the metal frame and over time, must of created a break in one of the four cable. I replaced the cable at a cost of about £5 (cable and heat shrink) and all work fine. I would take the motor out, undo the cable from the frame and connect the motor up and test. If that doesn't work a new motor I'm afraid. About £100 from mercedes.
Hope that helps. Good luck. Could be a 5 min job.

Thanks for your post.
I have had the same issue and after reading this decided to try and fix.
Quick removal of the seat back, only 2 torx screws, revealed the cable where it clips to the motor had pulled too tight and snapped the pins off the board on the motor. :wallbash:

A tap to the right of the motor housing and the whole assembly comes off to allow taking to a bench to work on.
A quick solder of the pins back into the holes on the board and reassembly into the car and cross fingers etc.

Connected up and headrest now works perfectly again :D

Hi I had this problem tilting the seat the headrest goes down an goes up when the seat clicks back in an won’t go down on door switch. Took cover off nothing broke sitting in back seat lift the tilt switch push seat forwards an back wards three times an head rests drop to lowest point . It worked on both seats door switches only make them go up still but not down I think they are confused .now they are down set a memory seat position an they seem ok lol new to Mercedes’ dreading electrical issues

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom