CLK w209 Headunit aftermarket upgrade, what are the audio wiring block wire colours?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dddooommm

Car
R129, W460, C219.
MBCLUB members-

This is my first well over due post,
Really struggling for help & can't find any specific info on this!
SRS system is my specialty- Please help with my aftermarket audio electrics.

My overall outcome is to fit my aftermarket Pioneer headunit that was previously working in my old CLK W209 2002. Not bothered about steering wheel user interface at this moment.
I'm using the same block wire ISO adapter kit but the wires seem different this time! Not so much plug & play this time. Please help!

***Things i'm struggling with***
1)Do I need just the 12v ignition live or the earth off of this too?
2)Which wire do I replace with the new extra 12v cigarette lighter wire?
3)In my photo with the 4 block connectors- What are the left two for? (steering wheel buttons?)
4)What are these wires from the main audio power block ? (see pictures)
-Brown wire? (Ground)
-Black wire?
-Red/Blue wire(Constant 12v?)
-Yellow/black wire(Mute?)
-green/black wire

What I need to do with your help is to understand what the factory Mercedes audio wires do so I can manually block connect them up to my Pioneer ISO cable harness wires.

I'd have thought the wiring would be the same for c class w203 or the old CLK but no luck.
Yes the "Morons guide to installing an aftermarket headunit" is an amazing post but it doesnt cover the issues i've found.

Facts & what i've tried:
>I know I haven't got an oem amp
>I've tapped an extra wire into the cigg lighter wires.
>I've tried plugging in
>I'm getting postivie readings with a multi-meter
>CLK w209 2003 Elegance cdi U.K. Spec.
>I've blown a few fuses experimenting
>I've put aftermarket head units in before in a c class & clk :(

Thank-you all in advance, Any advise or experience is appreciated. Just to confirm im lucky enough not to have a factory amp.

DDDOOOMMM
White CLK w209 CDI Full AMG Facelift+ Red Leathers <3

Last edited:
Car has COMAND before looking at the wiring looms

The little 8 way block is the power output from COMAND to the CD changer
The 18 way with the lever has CANbus (for steering wheel controls) and fibre optic wakeup, and AUX inputs

The main block has power and ground on the thick wires. Use both plus your new switched wire from the cigarette lighter with an appropriate inline fuse. Also in there are Green/Black (diagnostic connection), Yellow/Black = Mute. Black = power to the antenna amps from the head-unit.

Richard

Hi Richard

Perfecto ! This is gold dust info, Thanks.

A couple Questions:
1) Green/ black wire= diagnostic connection. As in obd dyagnostic fault Detector wires?

2) Having problems with headunit memory.
Classic problem solving in the past for me were just to swap the yellow & red wires over.
I've currently connected my yellow & red wires to cigarette ignition live.

Do I need to:
Connect RED wire to cigarette ignition & YELLOW wire to live constant (the blue/red wire on main block)
OR

Connect YELLOW wire to cigarette ignition & RED wire to live constant (the blue/red wire on main block)

I know the above is trial & error but will this work to maintain an ignition power supply but have data memory on the headunit ?

Many thanks
DDDOOOMMM

mbclub-

Success, all is working well!

Connect YELLOW wire to cigarette ignition & RED wire to live constant (the blue/red wire on main block)

Thanks,
DDDOOOMMM

:thumb:

Last edited:
Well done. Those 2 colours depend on the head unit make, so it is trial and error, and yes one needs permanent power to feed the memory. Some head units take tiny current on that (as it feeds memory only), some take lots and use the igntion wire just as a signal wire to turn on, some use the ignition wire as the main power feed.

Leave the diagnostic wiring well alone it goes to one of the pins on OBD2 socket
Ignore the mute as its only from the phone system you don't use anymore
You may well need to connect the black antenna power wire to the electric antenna output of the head unit (often blue/white on head units)
- Not sure why it was cut on yours !

Richard

Hi Richard,

That answers my next question !
radio signal has dropped dramatically lol

IS THIS RIGHT?
So I need to connect the black wire from the Merc audio harness to the
Pioneer wiring harness' blue/white wire? (obvs not the blue remote wire.

Thanks Richard

All running perfectly now !
Yes Richard you were right- the black antenna wire can connect to the blue/white remote wire for it to work & get a sucsessful radio signal.

Thanks-

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom