CLK W209 Steering - is it 'loose'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NitJay

Car
2006 CLK 320CDI
Hi,

Great forum, loads of info and I think I'll be using it a fair bit during my CLK ownership...

I've got a W209 CLK 320cdi Sport 66k on the clock. The steering feels slightly 'loose' around the centre, particularly on the left. At first I thought -it's a 10yr old car so won't be as tight as the 62 plate fiesta we have. However on the motorway at 70 it just doesnt quite feel right.

Going through bends it feels alright, it's more going along straight and making minor adjustments. It tracks straight apart from a very slight left tendancy.

At this age I imagine there are parts that need refreshing - e.g. the suspension arms were all replaced and now it rides beautifully.

Is there anything I can do to freshen up the steering feel?

Thanks in advance,

Hi Nitjay,

I've got Clk 270 w209 and mine drifts left all the time - they are notorious for it. I've just had one of my roll bar links replaced and that made a big difference, and ive about to replace the lower arms (thrust).

The general rule of thumb is that its all worn out, so to make it feel good replace as much as you can afford.

I've seen a kit on Ebay for £100 that replaces both link rods, upper and lower arms and tie rod ens......but the general advice from experienced folk on here is to go for genuine (Lemforder) products.

The link arms are about £20, the lower arms £85 each and upper arms a bit more.

Plus have a look at the front Anti roll bar bushes (on my list to change too).

I steered clear (pun utterly intended) of the suspension on my CLK coz it looked a pig to work on compared to previous cars, but now I remembered where I put my nads its actually quite straight forward.

About £400 (from Eurocarparts with club discount) will get you new arms upper and lower plus links plus some bushes. Tie rods ends maybe, but these tend not to ware very much (in my experience).

Thanks for the really informative reply, I'd given up on this thread!

I'm getting the roll bar links replaced so hopefully this will freshen it up.

How do these things handle generally? When I'm going down a back Road and pushing on a bit I feel a bit like I'm fighting the car.

Hi I have just done the lower control arms on my CLK and the difference in the way it drives is mega. I also had the geometry checked and corrected on a Hunter 4 wheel alignment rig,another improvement in the way it drives,dead straight and no drift or pull.

I did use lemforder arms and found the right guy to set the geometry up.

Lower arms is my next move.

Handling wise I can't believe how well this car goes round corners quick..but makes it feel like you aren't. My previous car was Mondeo v6 zetec S with very trick suspension, the CLK outhandles it (and the Zetec S was a fine handling car) but feels a lot more effortless...which makes you think you aren't going that fast......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom