CLK w209 v6 to v8 engine swap

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dpw864

Car
CLK
Looking for some advice please as to whether this actually possible and if so, what engines will work. Other than that what else would I need?

I want to get rid of the 3.0 litre v6 from my 280 sport and fit a v8, providing it's not going to cost the earth and is at least relatively straightforward forward. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks.

Sell yours and buy a V8 - CLK500 (5.0 or later 5.5) :) or CLK55 :cool:

I was wondering if that's going to be the cheapest option. Mine is in such good condition though and only has 50 odd thousand miles and I don't think I'll find a 55 in as good a condition for reasonable cost. Not interested in a 500 really as don't like the cars without the amg kit.

As much as I'd love that, I've been driving just under a year and I don't fancy my chances on getting insured on that!

As much as I'd love that, I've been driving just under a year and I don't fancy my chances on getting insured on that!

Maybe not the car for a new driver, but then again swapping your V6 for a V8 is likely to cost a fair bit on insurance too. Your best bet is a CLK500, loads online for sale.

Yeah, being sensible, there is that too although, of course I'd always drive sensibly and being an older first time Driver helps

I would check on insurance cost first and if 2006 or later, road tax

A 280 converted to 500 would be a "modified car" from an insurance POV. Some companies wouldn't even quote for it, and it's likely to be significantly more expensive than a factory 500 with those that do. Which could be a problem for a relatively inexperienced driver with not much NCD.

The OP is looking for technical advice of whether the swap is;

1. Possible, 2. Is a simple procedure.

All we seem to get is insurance advice and insurance limitations, I'm sure both have been researched extensively by the OP, lets move on to the technical aspects, is it possible?

Good potential for an interesting thread here, wish I could help with the actual question, unfortunately I cannot, but am tuned in to hear from those that can :)

It's doable. Whether it's worth the hassle is a different matter.

Swapping the motor should be relatively simple, it's marrying up the electronics that will take the time, and access to a STAR machine - if you're paying someone else to do that work it will quickly become economically unviable.

Last edited:
All we seem to get is insurance advice and insurance limitations, I'm sure both have been researched extensively by the OP

The OP mentioned he has been driving for less than a year so possibly not. It was worth mentioning, IMHO.

Technically anything is 'possible' - it's just a question of time & money. I'm not a CLK expert but I assume there would be suspension and brake differences between a 280 and a 500, exhaust system, possibly a different back axle ratio, etc.

More work required than just dropping in a different engine, I suspect.

As Mercedes themselves put a V8 in the W209, the answer is "Yes, it's possible".

Now the question is "Why convert rather than buy?"

Agreed. - Since it was sold with that engine, it's possible to perform the swap and have it line-up with the engine mounts etc.

I'm almost certain that there's a brake upgrade (and possibly suspension too) required.

If you've got a working engine already I don't think it's worth the time/money/effort, but if you've got a good body and a blown engine then why not.

Don't forget that you'll need to update the registration details with the new engine number... which will alert the DVLA to the change in capacity (and road tax band).

I was told by an engine tuner a few year ago "never convert something into what you can already buy"

I was told by an engine tuner a few year ago "never convert something into what you can already buy"

So go for broke and fit a biturbo!?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom