Clk w209

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Blackhammer

SUPPORTER
Car
Lexus RX450H
Hello all!

I'm looking to purchase a clk 320 convertible, ideally after 2004 so it has the newer style interior. I was initially looking at a 350 but the balancer shaft issues put me off. The 320 appears to be bullet proof, apart from 12 spark plugs which can be a little dear is there any else I need to check?

Also is it worth seeking a model with sat nav? I have never owned a Merc before so am not sure how decent the system is

Thanks in advance :thumb:

Stop messing about and get a V8 500, you can then faff with 16 spark plugs.

The sat nav on these cars is less accurate than Captain Cook's 1760's maps :D

The plug change interval for the M112 is around 60,000 miles or 4 years and is not that expensive nor that difficult to carry out with the correct tools and some patience.

The 320 is a lovely engine, smooth, good torque and seemingly free of major vices.

The 350 issues were addressed later on, search on here for the thread with more details pertaining to this if you are interested in this version.:thumb:

Hello all!

I'm looking to purchase a clk 320 convertible, ideally after 2004 so it has the newer style interior. I was initially looking at a 350 but the balancer shaft issues put me off. The 320 appears to be bullet proof, apart from 12 spark plugs which can be a little dear is there any else I need to check?

Also is it worth seeking a model with sat nav? I have never owned a Merc before so am not sure how decent the system is

Thanks in advance :thumb:

12 plugs isn't an issue at all.. you can get them cheap from MB Newcastle/Wales and as said above you change them every 60k

Anyway... the 320 is brilliant... it's so smooth and also good on fuel... I took mine for a 230 mile trip today on 40mph roads/60mph roads in traffic and it still averaged 31mpg which is excellent

Also very reliable and I've been told the 5 speed box is more reliable just make sure the ATF has been changed

Also check for clicking in the dash when u start up and change the heater settings to different locations e.g. To feet, to windscreen etc as that's a common problem on these... also check for rust on the rear arches... also check all the electrics work...

Satnav is useless so get an aftermarket unit mate to be honest.. I got a CarPlay Pioneer sph-da120 as I have an iPhone and it works amazingly

Any other questions let me know

Thanks for the responses so far! I have noticed not many seem to come with xenon headlights, how bad are the standard headlights ? Also how can I tell whether the car has bluetooth or not?

I have a 2008 350 and the engine is a peach. Mine was built after the balance shaft issue was resolved and it is easy to check if you have the engine number. COMAND is comically bad. I have the full system and never use the nav. Waze on the iPhone is 100 times better or buy £100 tom tom. The standard lights are not great but just about ok. Mine does not have xenons and I have thought about upgrading but never bothered. Mine has a Mercedes Viseeo Bluetooth kit fitted which works ok. The unit is installed in the centre console under the lid. With that fitted your phone address book syncs and all can be controlled through steering wheel. Just check for the little unit in the centre console.

Other things to look for.....heated seats are nice extra and makes it more usable for more of the year. Forget looking for cooling ventilated seats....I have them and they are a waste of time. They hardly work......common complaint on all MBs of that era.

Otherwise my only advice is seek out a Sport version which has the AMG body kit and alloys. Transforms the look of the car and is way more desirable in the market place.

Oh and one last thing.....tax rates changed 2005-6 from around £290 to £520 a year for later cars. Might make a difference if road fund licence is a factor.

Thanks for the responses so far! I have noticed not many seem to come with xenon headlights, how bad are the standard headlights ? Also how can I tell whether the car has bluetooth or not?

Try go for Xenons

They are great... and look much better than the standard headlights

Oh and one last thing.....tax rates changed 2005-6 from around £290 to £520 a year for later cars. Might make a difference if road fund licence is a factor.

I found that the hard way. :wallbash:

What's the problem with COMAND? Mine seems to run well enough; the navigation gets me where I want to go, the stereo plays music. - OK I haven't tried an MP3 disc yet.

Thanks for all the replies. I'm used to paying £290 I think all the 320 and early 350 fall in this bracket. Don't fancy paying more for road tax than I do for insurance but if the right spec comes along...

I have had cars with ventilated seats (Lexus) in my opinion they blow like an asthmatic mouse maybe mine were broken?

Will an adapted disc improve the navigation or is it just pants? I am not a fan of wires and cables and stuff stuck on the windscreen (fussy I know)

How bad is the standard hifi? I have had a few BMW and christ the standard audio in those is woeful, the worst in any car I have had. I am one for blasting the tunes but I appreciate decent sound quality

On my CLK320 the comand sat nav works fine, I believe it's running an up to date DVD nav disc, this maybe why you are getting different opinions of it. (Don't let it put you off a car that doesn't have it though)
Power memory seats are a waste of time unless your 25 stone or disabled in some way.
My hi-if is a Harmon Kardon system with a 6 CD auto changer and it's lovely.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Try go for Xenons

They are great... and look much better than the standard headlights

Standard lamps are not good, definitely go for Xenons

On my CLK320 the comand sat nav works fine, I believe it's running an up to date DVD nav disc, this maybe why you are getting different opinions of it. (Don't let it put you off a car that doesn't have it though)
Power memory seats are a waste of time unless your 25 stone or disabled in some way.

COMAND is fine if you keep maps up to date. More importantly, the sound quality of the COMAND is hugely improved on the standard Audio 20 and make it worth seeking out on its own.

Vented seats are rare but worked well on my (3rd) 209 and made a real difference on very hot days.

Standard lamps are not good, definitely go for Xenons

COMAND is fine if you keep maps up to date. More importantly, the sound quality of the COMAND is hugely improved on the standard Audio 20 and make it worth seeking out on its own.

Vented seats are rare but worked well on my (3rd) 209 and made a real difference on very hot days.

Comand has nothing on an aftermarket system though in both sound and navigation terms..

Maybe that's it; I updated my disc when I bought the car so it's one-off the current version now.

I'm also not one for extra wires everywhere and things stuck to my window; that's why I didn't install my dashcam.

I agree about the memory seats; it's only me that drives my car, so there's only one setting. - The passenger side does get used occasionally when my wife want to return the seat to her position (when someone else has been in the seat).

I'd also recommend distronic if you get the choice.

Oh and heated seats, 'Winter is coming'

Looking what's available at the moment, I will have to go without distronic and keyless go. Heated seats, nav and parktronic are what I'm after everything is a bonus I guess.

A few I have enquired about only have 1 key not the end of the world but I do like to have a spare, what's the going rate for a new key and are they main dealer only ?

Interestingly I stumbled across a document this week detailing all the improvements on the M272 over the M112 engine.

Here are some of the bits that I thought were interesting:
  • Although peak power comes 300rpm later on the M272, peak torque can be achieved across a wide rev range (2500-5000rpm).
  • Compression is increased from 10.0:1 to 10.7:1 (OK, not a huge change).
  • Obviously dropping to one plug per cylinder has been mentioned, but the M272 is also coil-on-plug rather than two ignition circuits (each with a separate coil) for each cylinder.
  • Power delivery is about the same until ~4200rpm when the M112 starts curving-off.
  • Apparently the M272 is a stiffer engine. :dk:
  • M272 doesn't need an EGR because both camshafts adjust.
  • Lighter crankshaft with larger bearings than the M112.
  • Oil sensor only used as a switch (so the M272 gets a dipstick).
  • Four valves per cylinder in the M272 (compared with three in the M112). - They claim this improves torque and horsepower figures.

So it seems like the intention was to make a lot of technological improvements with the M272... just a pity they cheaped-out on the alloy for the sprocket on the balancer shaft. :doh:

I was really keen on a 350 however when contacting sellers about the earlier models they don't seem to aware it the balancer shaft issue and the later ones are in the higher tax bracket. I am going to look at a few 320s this so hopefully should have by the end of the week.

Regarding transmission are the intervals for the fluid change. I have never changed the fluid on an automatic before, sealed for life and all that and never had an trouble, what's the cost for a fluid change ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom