Clk Water coming from boot lid

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gh3382

Car
ML350 4Matic
My wife's car has water in the boot and when I open the lid it appears to be coming from inside the bottom of the boot lid .

The only think I can think off it is leaking through the boot lid Brake light.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

GH3382

Not sure on the car but my W208 had this problem, I pulled the boot mounted rear light clusters and replaced the seals but it still did it. Took me ages to find it was the lamp unit itself where the coloured lens is bonded to the grey plastic backing, the bonding had failed and was allowing water to pass through the light unit into the boot lid skin. I siliconed it up just to check this was the issue, which it was as the leak stopped, I then purchased 2 new aftermarket units from a supplier in Doncaster for £60 fitted those and cured permanently

Hope that helps

The water is actually coming out of the boot lid when you open it . on the w209 the lights are on rearwing so the only lights are the rear number plate and the centre brake light which both are at right angles along with the Merc Badge. I would not have thought that at such an angle I would be getting as much water from them.

As BlackC55 high level brake light the most likely culprit

Is the rear spoiler on the top fitted with bolts ?

If I press it water oozes out of it over the outside boot panel and it appears not to be very tight. All the electric boards etc inside the inner boot panel are covered in water. This car had a boot repair and the bottom section of the panel replaced in august and I think it may be the culprit. They would have taken off the lip spoiler during repair. I have poured water around the brake light with the boot open at different angles and can not see any water leaks on it .

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom