CLK Window Rattle - Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddy77

SUPPORTER
Car
2008 CLK 350 Sport Cab and 2021 BMW 520i M Sport Saloon
Hi chaps,
I've been rooting around the interweb and on this forum for an easy to understand method to adjust the windows on my 2008 (A209) CLK Convertible.
In a nutshell, the windows rattle on both sides. The cause is clear. The rattle comes from the front window rattling against the rubber seal / weather strip which is attached to the rear window. It is a not a squeak that can be fixed with silicon lubricant - it is an actual "flapping" rattle. Upon investigation the rear windows in particular seem to have a lot of lateral / horizontal movement (i.e. they feel loose). Everything seems OK in terms of where they sit against the roof and seals and in relation to the front doors but they are not rigidly sat in place laterally. So every time you go over a bump, they bounce in towards the cabin and the rubber seal bounces back against the front window and a rattle is heard. It's as if they should be braced against something within the rear quarter and it's come loose.
I believe you can adjust the preload on the front windows which would enable me to angle the front windows in further and hence create more pressure against the rears (remove the grommets under the doors and adjust etc). I think this could ease the issue, but before I dive in I wanted to ask if anyone has a definitive way to tackle the issue. My gut feel is that I really need to adjust the rear windows for lateral looseness and I don't know how you get at the adjusting screws for the rears as clearly there is no door to open and no grommets to remove and reveal torque screws. I assume I may have to remove the interior leather side panel...
Anyone got any ideas as to what is wrong with it?
Thanks in advance!
Ed

I think all the adjustment is via the front windows not the rear - I've never had these adjusted but the front window runners may need tightening as well, all caused by the doors being slammed (and probably poor design!)

I think I have a similar problem. I have purchased a bottle of gummi pflege but haven't applied it yet. I am hoping that by softening the seals, the windows will fit better?

Mine rattle from time to time, would be great to see if anyone has actually adjusted theirs to fix a rattle - my initial instinct tells me that they need to be re-aligned & tightened up at the same time as serviced for movement with rubber seals treatment and mechanism lubrication.

Mine rattle from time to time, would be great to see if anyone has actually adjusted theirs to fix a rattle - my initial instinct tells me that they need to be re-aligned & tightened up at the same time as serviced for movement with rubber seals treatment and mechanism lubrication.

I would agree with you. If you are taking panels off then it only makes sense to do the rubber seals as well as tighten and adjust the windows :D

The Gummi Pflege stuff is good if you have a rubber / glass squeak where the seal is rubbing against the glass. But if the window is loose and - how can I put it - "flapping", I don't think the lubrication will work.
I might try tweaking the preload on the front glass which adjusts the angle of the glass relative to the vertical. If I angle it "in" towards the car more, it will press harder against the seal on the rear window and may be enough to stop the flapping noise. I'll also lubricate the rubber seal to make sure it is good and soft.
I'll have a go this weekend, and take photos as I go if I have any success so that others can see what I have done. Either way, I will report back.
I'm also taking the car to "Benz on the Green" so if anyone is there on the day, look me up at the pub and we can knock our heads together. I'll be in a chromite black CLK 350, first part of the number plate GV08. Feel free to say hello!!

The Gummi Pflege stuff is good if you have a rubber / glass squeak where the seal is rubbing against the glass. But if the window is loose and - how can I put it - "flapping", I don't think the lubrication will work.
I might try tweaking the preload on the front glass which adjusts the angle of the glass relative to the vertical. If I angle it "in" towards the car more, it will press harder against the seal on the rear window and may be enough to stop the flapping noise. I'll also lubricate the rubber seal to make sure it is good and soft.
I'll have a go this weekend, and take photos as I go if I have any success so that others can see what I have done. Either way, I will report back.
I'm also taking the car to "Benz on the Green" so if anyone is there on the day, look me up at the pub and we can knock our heads together. I'll be in a chromite black CLK 350, first part of the number plate GV08. Feel free to say hello!!

Booked for that as well, hope to be in my CLK55 Cab, Fire Opal Red!:bannana:

sjmaxwell, stunning colour.. :)

Quick question, how do apply Gummi Pflege? What do you do if you get it on the windows or paint?

I've not used the official gummi pflege before...I used silicon lubricant on mine. I think it just wipes off if you get it on the paint. Failing that, a bit of lighter fuel is usually good at removing any residue from that kind of stuff. See how you go, if in doubt try a bit on some paint under the bumper / out of sight and check how easy it wipes away! But I think it will wipe away ok.

Sjmaxwell....see you at Benz on the Green...do they group like cars together? If so I guess we will be in the same area? I will look out for your 55!

Gummi Pflege comes with a foam applicator that you just wipe over the rubber. Cars aren't grouped at Benz on the Green I'm afraid but would be good to meet up

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

There's a screw under the door towards the rear of it - get under the door and you'll see it. It may well be missing. If you're lucky it will just be loose. Tighten it and problem solved.

Worked for me at least - with those exact symptoms.

There's a screw under the door towards the rear of it - get under the door and you'll see it. It may well be missing. If you're lucky it will just be loose. Tighten it and problem solved.

Worked for me at least - with those exact symptoms.

That solved the a rattling window problem? :confused:

Yes - I didn't have to actually open the door up but I assume that there is a chassis in there for the window mechanism and that the screw (actually it's a bolt) holds that chassis in place.

Yes - I didn't have to actually open the door up but I assume that there is a chassis in there for the window mechanism and that the screw (actually it's a bolt) holds that chassis in place.

Ok thanks, I've actually had the door card off before & can't remember seeing any bolts under the door except the one that was holding the card, but I'll give it another look & report back. Will be amazing if it's that simple [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's actually at the bottom of the door - as in the section that is flat & horizontal with the ground. Hope this helps.

It's actually at the bottom of the door - as in the section that is flat & horizontal with the ground. Hope this helps.

What year is your clk?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mine is a 2005.

Mine is a 2006 but I can't see any screws under the door...... Any chance of you taking a pic of the location? I've looked a number of times, but all I can see is drain holes.

Sorry for the delay - only just checked this. I will take pics and post them up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom