CLK with 8.5J Wheels all round, what tyre size should I fit on the front ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

reggie musson

Car
CLK 2.7 Diesel
Hi everyone, I need some tyre guidance.
When I purchased my 2004 CLK 2.7 CDI a year ago I found out when I changed both rear tyres the AMG wheels were replicas and they are 8.5 J all round instead of offset as they should be. This would explain why the 225/40 tyres looked a little small in width to the wheels.
The guy who was replacing the two rear tyres advised me the rears should have 255/35 which he fitted. The only thing from then on the cruise control cut out at speeds above 60 mph.
Now it is time to change the front tyres, but what size should I fit ? If I fit the same size as the rear, will they clear the front wheel arches, or should I have the same size as I have fitted at the moment at the front, but will the cruise work ?

Thanks for reading and any help would be most welcome.

Reggie

Assuming all 4 wheels are 8.5J and 18" then you want 225/40/18 all round or you could run a staggered set up with 225/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the rears. 255/35/18 wont fit on the front, but with any of the above combinations standard or staggered the cruise will work OK.

Assuming all 4 wheels are 8.5J and 18" then you want 225/40/18 all round or you could run a staggered set up with 225/40/18 on the front and 255/35/18 on the rears. 255/35/18 wont fit on the front, but with any of the above combinations standard or staggered the cruise will work OK.

A very big thankyou for that info, Reggie :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom