CLK Xenon auto adjusters

Discussion in 'Electronics' started by Edd1968, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Edd1968

Edd1968 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2 CLK 320s, Ivan 'The Terrible' my 'The Works Prestige Vehicle Valeting' van & 2 Friesian Horses!
    Hi all,

My new toy outside has the near side headlight beam directed about 2 foot in front of the car and when I turn on the motor etc. in the dark the lights fire up and only the off side one runs through it's 'up and down' cycle.
    Does anyone know whether this motor (which appears to be at the back and bottom of the light unit) can be lubricated, needs replacing or just walloped with a mallet or something in order to make it function again!! Answers on a postcard to 'Edd1968's new toy's things to put right list'

Thanks

2. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k
    Perhaps the Arm has come adrift where it attaches.

They attach to the upper control arm on a w211, Unfortunately im sure on a c209 it will look summit like this

[​IMG]

Edd1968 likes this.
  3. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2016
    I think the OP is enquiring about the adjustment motor inside the headlamp unit. One failed in my CLS and I had to buy a complete new headlamp.
    Sometimes it's the little plastic link rod inside that falls off or snaps, which might be repairable.

Edd1968 and merc85 like this.
  4. merc85

merc85 MB Club Veteran

Car:
    s211 e55k

Doh..... It's been a long day :D

whitenemesis likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    Edd1968

Car:
    2 CLK 320s, Ivan 'The Terrible' my 'The Works Prestige Vehicle Valeting' van & 2 Friesian Horses!
    That's exactly the adjustment motor I'm referring to. Wish it was the sensor you showed Gav

6. GP801

GP801 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    2003 W209 CLK, 2005 R171 SLK in UK, 1995 S124 E280 in Italy
    I had this issue many years ago with ours. I was anticipating expensive repairs but the Indie (Jack at PCS in Horndean) took the bumper off, reattached something and its been fine for the past few years. Apparently its not an uncommon issue. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly what had come adrift.

Edd1968 likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Edd1968

Car:
    Well it's definitely not cycling through its entire movement up and down when first switched, on therefore I'm assuming it's either seized or the link you mentioned is disconnected. They are silent so it's not like my Streetka with a motor wurring away to adjust them.
    I've manually reset the height to match Mrs Edd1968's lights against the wall (there are advantages of having 2 of these wonderful cars on the premises ;) you know) Just need to restore the lenses now as they're pretty yellow and tarnished. I love that job as the results are always great to see when you look at the before and after pics.