CLK200 2007 head light adjustment not working.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

grantmackay80

Hi there, I have a problem with the adjustment switch that raises and lowers the light level from inside the car, it’s not working. I took out the switch board where the head light switch and the adjustment switch to raise and lower the light level. There are 2 pneumatic hoses on the adjustment switch. The purple one can be traced to the head lights and the grey one that’s attached can be traced and comes out next to the brake master cylinder. However it’s not attached to anything? I have had a good look around and can’t find where it’s meant to be attached? Any help will be most welcome. Thanks Grant.

I presume that yours is the same as mine.
Look at the brake fluid reservoir. Between that and the bulkhead is the top of the brake servo diaphragm. On the top of this is the ~10mm black pipe bringing manifold vacuum to the servo. This attaches to the servo via a white filter around 30 mm in diameter. Also attached to the filter is the light grey pipe from the headlight range adjustment.

If the connection had fallen off or broken, I would expect there to be zero servo assistance when braking - and probably a red message on the dash "Brakes - visit workshop" or similar.

Ian.

Thanks Ian. That’s where the pipe is coming out so sounds about right. The hose is just sticking up so must have come away? There are no alarms coming up though. It’s in the garage now as this failed the MOT. I will pass on this info to the garage. Thanks for taking the time to respond. Grant.

Hi Ian, it turns out the white plastic 3 way manifold was missing and someone had bodged it so there was nowhere to put the grey hose. I put in an air fitting and milled a hole in the side to take the 4mm grey hose. My lights now adjust and they will give an MOT. Result. Thanks again for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom