CLK200 Convertible roof closure problem…micro switch fault ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

W1ghty

MB Enthusiast
Joined
Jun 27, 2020
Messages
5,760
Location
Sunny Essex
Car
E320cdi and CLK200
Yesterday after a nice roof down drive the roof failed to full return to closed . After a lot of hassle I managed to close the roof manually so at least things are weather proof .
I’ve had a quick look at YouTube and the likely fault areas . If I get time I’ll scan the car with icarsoft later or tomorrow.
So the symptoms are :-
The roof opens correctly.
The roof 90% closes without issue to this point (not my car pictured) and all you can hear is the motor trying to work .
DBFB4788-E4A4-4CDF-BC32-088BEF0DF373.jpeg
There are a number of micro switches in the boot area and they all make a click sound when you press them .
Does this click mean the micro switch is working ??
The likely switch (or broken wire fault for this scenario) is the micro switch that is under the lining of the bow deck that is pictured not fully seated . The switch is responsible for recognising that the rear roof window is engaged with the deck for the final movement .
Anyone any experience of this issue or advice would be appreciated .
 
Open the roof half way.
Clean every moving part especially the spigots that the roof locates into and the chrome oval locators (for want of a better word. Basically everything that ‘locates the parts of the roof. I used wd40 - get rid of all the dried grease.
You should be able to try it now and see if ir works ok.
Now grease all of the moving parts - especially locating spigots etc with white lithium grease.
that should sort it out.

Edit: just be careful, because after a few minutes you will hear a beep and the roof will slide gently into its compartment.
 
Last edited:
My theory is that the grease goes hard/sticky (which it does) and if the alignment of all the parts isn’t perfect it can jam.
This worked for me, and has worked for a number of others that I have posted to 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
 
My theory is that the grease goes hard/sticky (which it does) and if the alignment of all the parts isn’t perfect it can jam.
This worked for me, and has worked for a number of others that I have posted to 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I appreciate all that buddy , first dry weather I’ll give it a go .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ted
Maybe check the hinge blocks that hold the roof cover in place, mine had a break in one of the tiny plastic arms and the part is hard to get hold of so it’s probably a common fault, I’ll see if I can find a pic.
 
These fellas!
 

Attachments

  • 1F44B8A0-AF82-4CE5-99AF-0FD074519223.jpeg
    1F44B8A0-AF82-4CE5-99AF-0FD074519223.jpeg
    300.8 KB · Views: 4
So I’ve just managed to finally fix the car roof today . I ordered a Bow deck roof sensor in the end from MB , £66 . I had done a fair amount of research in the end and this seemed the likely suspect sensor .
20230504_122533.jpeg
Icarsoft confirmed it as well .
I fitted the sensor and then thought I would check the wiring because a very good YouTube vid had said that if it’s not the sensor then check the wiring because it can break because of all the bending as the roof moves.
I thought I would just check where the Bow deck sensor wiring went to in the boot in case I then needed to check for continuity in the wiring from the sensor .
IMG_2318.jpeg
You can see the purple wire had totally snapped where it leaves the long rubber tube . It should sit by the brown wire .
This break is why the Bow deck didn’t seat and also why the icarsoft showed that sensor as faulty .
I managed to find some thin wire and cut out the damaged area on the purple and brown wires , then soldered a new section of wire in .
Finally the roof works again .
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ted
My theory is that the grease goes hard/sticky (which it does) and if the alignment of all the parts isn’t perfect it can jam.
This worked for me, and has worked for a number of others that I have posted to 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻
I did clean up all the moving parts that I could find and then lubed everything.

Before doing that the rear deck pull out using the supplied straps for when the roof isn’t functioning was a really hard job , 2 of us could barely do it and that was with a long pole through the straps . Eventually for the second or third time of doing it , I used a 6ft piece of timber placed vertically behind the car and extended the supplied handles with rope to use the wood as a lever with my weight on it .

The last time I pulled the bow deck out manually it moved much easier , so my advice would be make sure you keep the two big hinges that are visible when you open the boot very well lubed from both sides .
The other part that needs a good lube is the metal catch that is in the bow deck that the rear glass catches engage into (the catch is under the shiny metal covers that are on the bow deck .

I did also spray all micro switches with electrical cleaner at the same time .

After 15 years the roof has never moved more smoothly.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Ted

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom