CLK200 KOMPRESSOR Sport Coupe or C180 KOMPRESSOR Sport Saloon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sparer

Car
C200 Kompressor CL203
Hello All,
I'm new to the forum and hopefully will buy my first MB over the coming week or 2.

I have a bit of a dilemma in that I can't decide between the CLK200 Sport or a C-Class 180 Sport. I'm looking at 2008 UK models. I like the styling of both for different reasons like the AMG grille on the C-Class or the interior of the CLK.

I guess i'm looking for your experiences with owning them on a day-to-day basis. Reliability and common faults etc. I currently have a BMW 323Ci so the 2 door thing doesn't bother me.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

CLK every time, but then I could be biased as an owner of a CLK 200k. It has a more refined ride and better quality interior. Also in my opinion it looks classier too. Some consider the 200k a bit underpowered but its fine for me. Reliability great. In 8 years its had a new airbag module but nothing else other than service/wear and tear items.

I am very happy with my 180 Kompressor engine, the 200 will obviously be nicer due to the higher power and torque.

The CLK is a two-door four-seater as opposed to the C-Class which is four-door five-seater - but I am assuming this is not an important feature for you?

Also, the 2008 CLK to my mind looks slightly dated due to the four headlamps face carried over from the ageing W203. The C-Class (W204) looks fresher and more in-line with Mercedes' current offering.

Does any of them have COMAND? If so this would be a nice thing to have...

they are both as badly built as each other (unless you go for a facelift, which is post 2005), but the clk has the nicer engine (in this particular comparision) and looks better.

they are both as badly built as each other (unless you go for a facelift, which is post 2005), but the clk has the nicer engine (in this particular comparision) and looks better.

I think he said he was after a 2008 car?

I agree about the dated look of the CLK and if i'm honest, that's what is stopping me although I prefer the better interior. I'll keep the car for 3 years so it will look even more dated by then but I don't want to forfeit a full leather interior either. I have found a C200 with COMAND but cloth Alpaca Grey seats and a manual box.

The CLK has Multi-contour Seats which i'm guessing 'tighten' up in corners as well as full electric control so that is also a plus.

Does the CLK have blueooth at all?

Last edited:
The only issue to look for with this engine is the cam chain . The chain is to light and strech causing damage to the cam sprockets and some times bending valves . My chain stretched and damaged the sprockets , they cost over 700 euro each . Watch out for a clattering on start up this is a sign the chain is stectched .

Is that the engine in the Clk or c180 or are they both the same.

Both cars have the same engine , its called the M271 , the is 3 main types , the 180k 200k and the 230k . This engine was introduced in around 2002 on , there all 1.8 litre .

Both cars have the same engine , its called the M271 , the is 3 main types , the 180k 200k and the 230k . This engine was introduced in around 2002 on , there all 1.8 litre .

Correct, the 200K and 230K have lower compression ratio and higher supercharger boost, hence more power and torque from same displacement.

Also, the power has increased for the W204 across the range for all M271 Kompressor engines, e.g. the 2002-2007 180K has 143bhp, while the 2007- 180K has 156bhp.

This tread will tell you all about the enginehttp://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/88500-complete-m271-engine-thread-revised-updated.html?highlight=m271
I personaly think these engines are utter rubish , I will never again buy a car with this type engine . Mine has coast me a fortuine on repairs lately and spent most of the last 4 months off the road .

This tread will tell you all about the enginehttp://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/88500-complete-m271-engine-thread-revised-updated.html?highlight=m271
I personaly think these engines are utter rubish , I will never again buy a car with this type engine . Mine has coast me a fortuine on repairs lately and spent most of the last 4 months off the road .

I am not sure they should all be written off as bad... mine (180K) is 5 years old now and did 40k miles so far without missing a beat. And repairs - if and when needed - are generally cheaper than the 200CDI/220CDI Diesel variety.

Maybe so , but mine needed cam chain and sprockets , retail these would cost 1585 euro !
If your cars getting on for 40k then get the chain checked . My local indy check all 271 engines at this milage for chain stretch

Maybe so , but mine needed cam chain and sprockets , retail these would cost 1585 euro !
If your cars getting on for 40k then get the chain checked . My local indy check all 271 engines at this milage for chain stretch

Thanks, will get this done at the next service.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom