CLK200 (W208) Front fog light, bulb replacement.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lee72

Car
W208-CLK200 Convertible
Decided to post these instructions as I couldn't find any online so here's how I did it....
IMG_0310.jpg

Locate the offending fog lamp, mine was on the drivers side ;)
Raise the car sufficiently off the ground to enable you to get to the bits you need to... I'd recommend a car lift, pit or dig a 4' deep hole in your garden to stand in!:D
Locate the access panel under the corner which is secured by 4 self tapping philips head screws
IMG_0319.jpg

Remove aforementioned screws and remove panel; so far so good and relatively easy:)
IMG_0313.jpg

You should now be able to see the rear of the fog light assembly which should resemble this....
IMG_0318.jpg

Here you can see a small black plug with a wire protruding from it....DON'T spend 10 minutes trying to remove this while swearing profusely as it will serve no purpose whatsoever :doh:
Make a cup of tea while calling yourself all the names under the sun... such as EEJIT!! etc.
Instead, spend several minutes squeezed under the front of the car (if you happen to be laying on your back with the car up on a jack) trying to release the clip shown to the right of the wired and black plug on the above image; persevere, it does unclip......eventually :(
IMG_0314.jpg

Remove black plastic rear cap which may take some wiggling and jiggling to actually get it out ;)
Wash any dirt and foreign objects from eyes at this point and take the opportunity to have another cuppa (or something stronger!)
IMG_0311.jpg

You should now be able to see the lamp and connector, gently pull the connector off the terminal:wallbash: gently does it.....:wallbash: it may be tight:wallbash: swear numerous times....and then lose patience!
Yank terminal from offending lamp, pinch two locating springs to release whats left of the lamp and remove it....simple:D
IMG_0315.jpg

It should come out in 1,2 or 3 pieces :p
IMG_0316.jpg

The replacement lamp should be a 12v (obviously) 55w H1, I'll tell you this as Mercedes seemed to have forgotten to write that part down in my owners manual, oh.....and it should be in 1 piece.
Refitting is a reverse of the removal procedure without breaking it!
The rear fog light cover can be fiddly to re-fit too but persevere as it does go back on...after all it came off!
Finally, sit down, tip cold tea away and fill mug with your alcoholic beverage of your choice:thumb:

I know this post is some 11 years old, but I thank you for it Lee72.
And yes, no mention of fog light type in owners manual?

Anyhow, a helpful post.

I know this post is some 11 years old, but I thank you for it Lee72.
And yes, no mention of fog light type in owners manual?

Anyhow, a helpful post.
He last checked the forum 10 years ago buddy .

Thanks for letting me know W1ghty.
My gratitude remains.
As it should buddy , the forum has saved us £millions collectively I should think :)

Slightly off topic, my CLK W209 is missing the fog light wiring to the near side fog light. I've spent hours trying to locate it without success. If anyone has any ideas I would be very interested as its driving me bonkers.

Slightly off topic, my CLK W209 is missing the fog light wiring to the near side fog light. I've spent hours trying to locate it without success. If anyone has any ideas I would be very interested as its driving me bonkers.
No idea sorry; mine is a W208 CLK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom