Clk200k sunroof delete

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lefa

Car
None
Hi,

I have been looking into swap my 230k for a 200k due to the hefty road tax (Ireland), plus that my current car would need some work. Found one in nice red color. Engine pulls nicely, gear changes are quite smooth (automatic).
It need some small fixes but then there is the sunroof and a scratched roof (used as set down area for grocery). I know that there will be people judging the following but it is the way I like my car so.
I would actually like too get rid of the sunroof altogether and have the beautiful roof-line restored. I know it is doable and that there are probably just 2 options:

1) fill the hole with sheet metal
2) replace the whole roof

The first option, can the roof-line bee made smooth, and in a way that it does not crack ?
The second one is it a big job to replace the roof panel or is it just a piece of cake ?

If someone has done it please shear your experiences. If you have any pics pleas add.

PS. I'm also looking into getting rid of the text and star on the rear, the star on the bonnet and those elegance markers on the front side wings. It is just a beautiful car with none of these, just smooth surfaces

I think you would need a new roof panel for a successful deletion.

I like your thinking, I don't like sunroofs.

Thank you,

So if I got it right cut out the roof panel from a donor and implant it on mine.
Anyone has any experience with the replacement and the cost involved?

Have a search for 106/Saxo roof panel replacements - there are a few companies that have done this, exactly as you want to go 'sunroofless'.
I know they're completely different cars, but the process must be similar.

I have replaced roof panels before , once on punto where we replaced the roof to one with a sun roof .
The roof skin should be spot welded on along the front and rear screens and in the channel under the roof mouldings . Its not a simple task and along with a new roof skin you will need a head cloth as well

What's wrong with "Sun Roofs" ??? they can always be left closed without any wind noise!

What's wrong with "Sun Roofs" ??? they can always be left closed without any wind noise!

I've found them a little restrictive in terms of head room, but depends on the car. I found a C-class without one because I wanted the extra space - makes a difference with a relatively low roof line. Space is not a problem in the ML so that was a must have when finding the right car.

Thank you all!

There is nothing wrong with the sunroof, fom the inside it is nice, at the moment I'm enjoying mine. But from the outside I think a plain roof line is the way it should look, if we could get rid of those roof moldings too just a smooth surface...
And when we are at purifying lines, the text and the star at the rear should go, as the star on the front and last but not least those Elegance badges on the sides. It is a MB and does not have to scream MB in every corner. Less is more here in my opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom