CLK220 2007 MPG / Turbo issues

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sion Roberts

Car
Mercedes Benz C220 cdi
Hi there,

Recently brought a CLK220 AMG with tiptronic and it drives fine but not quite as quick as I would like but the mpg is only around 32-34mpg on a 55mph run on A roads and drops to mid 20's around town.

Garage thinks it may be a turbo issue and suggest taking it out for tesing / reconditioning but they cannot be sure this will solve the problem.

I have checked fuel consumption on computer and brim to brim.

Any help or advise please?

Thanks

Sion

You should be getting better MPG than that, my 220 does between 46 and 52 on a good motorway run. Around town it's mid to high thirties, best bet is get it scanned on Star diagnostics, that should show up any fueling issues and point you in the right direction. Turbo problems are normally associated with other faults, blowing smoke etc. A star session will show up low boost pressure or fuel rail/pressure problems.

Star done already I think but they reckon its a inefficient turbo possibly but not 100% ....trying to decide to trade it in or throw more money at it??

Thanks

Go on then how do you know?

Those are V6 petrol MPG figures. - Let distronic drive and I get 30-something MPG, but leave me in charge of the loud pedal and it's only 20-something.

Definitely something up if it's an oil burner. - Is the turbo making boost? That's a quick way to tell if it's working or not. I don't know how hard it is on a Mercedes, but it's pretty easy to get a turbo on and off a Nissan.

Hi there,

Recently brought a CLK220 AMG with tiptronic and it drives fine but not quite as quick as I would like but the mpg is only around 32-34mpg on a 55mph run on A roads and drops to mid 20's around town.

Garage thinks it may be a turbo issue and suggest taking it out for tesing / reconditioning but they cannot be sure this will solve the problem.

I have checked fuel consumption on computer and brim to brim.

Any help or advise please?

Thanks

Sion

I would not bother unless you are doing high miles and are after fuel economy / savings.

Our C220 CDI does around 23-25 mpg around town and around 35mpg on a 50 mile journey on the M6.

Its been checked with STAR and the car runs fine.

I would say it's normal figures and you would find people who get 30+ mpg in town but it depends on their driving/journeys etc. (in the brochure it states 30 mpg for town and the general rule of thumb is that official mpg figures are always optimistic and hard to achieve in real driving conditions)

The only issue I would point out is a faulty / jamming thermostat - very common on these engines. If your engine takes more than 15 minutes to warm up, let's say average temperature of 8C in city stop start driving, I would say the thermostat needs replacement as a measure of preventative maintenance.

The thermostat on our 220 CDI was jamming and it would take time to warm up and on the motorway the temp needle would drop. We changed the thermostat and car warms up quicker now and slightly better mpg also. Before new thermostat the car would return 19-20 mpg in town but after new thermostat it now returns 23+ mpg most of the time.

In all honesty you can spends £££ trying to get better mpg but it may not be worth it when you weigh up the costs against the savings.

Also, putting a shot of injector cleaner every 3 or so months and taking it for a run to will keep things clean inside.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

Our C220 CDI does around 23-25 mpg around town and around 35mpg on a 50 mile journey on the M6.

Its been checked with STAR and the car runs fine.

Something not right with either your engine or driving style, 50mpg should be easily attainable on these engines on most m/ways, I've even had 68.8mpg on mine when I attempted to see how high I could get the mpg up to.

Something not right with either your engine or driving style, 50mpg should be easily attainable on these engines on most m/ways, I've even had 68.8mpg on mine when I attempted to see how high I could get the mpg up to.

I see your point but are a lot of factors behind mpg figures which cause differences car to car.

Every MB we have had in the household has always returned mpg figures on average ~20% less of the stated book figures for town. This to me sounds about right as we all know how 'precise' the book figures are. For combined, ~10% less than the book figures.

Not boasting but all MBs we have had were/are with good history and taken care of.

My dad's current 320 CDI returns about 20 mpg in town, again ~20% less than book figure (24.4 mpg - SWB model). Its only on 76,000 miles and we use good fuel to keep the internals clean also.

But if you are achieving higher mpg figures then that's a bonus! So it's one of 'those' things I guess with mpg...

Sent from my GT-I9505 using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom