CLK220 vs CLK270 - Mileage vs Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Nemecys

Car
CLK220
Hey guys,

I have a £10k budget, looking to upgrade and really feeling the total quality of the CLK.

Looked at some CLC's not a fan of the hatchback attempt at coupe, and heard the build quality is the lowest you can get (Basically a C Class), heard the CLK is basically an E type /higher end parts wise.

Please correct me if i'm wrong. :thumb:

So I was curious as to when the major parts need changing on the CLK and when would be a good year/mileage to buy. I can get some CLK220's 55reg onwards at 20-30k for £9,000 but CLK270's at 50k-60k 03 or 05plate for £5-6,000.

Any people out there with these cars got anything they would like to warn me about?

What are they like to maintain?
Average MPG?
Whats is this DPF and about removing one for better MPG?
Or any other sort of information

I hear a lot of low MPG 20-30 on the CLK220, but that may be short trips/heavy feet, but the CLK270 seems a more stable engine.

Sorry for the long post,
Any and all comments would be appreciated

Thanks

Get a 220 and you will always wish you had more power which you would have got with the 270

Get a 220 and you will always wish you had more power which you would have got with the 270

Hey Killer,
Saw you epic mod on the CLK270 made me see the beauty of one in Silver instead of black.
Really great job on that car dude,

I'm coming from a Corsa 1.3 CDTI ... 72 BHP, I know not the word "Power"..

Im being told get the miles as low as possible but at what compromise, is 30k really that big a difference? It equates to 3 years driving for my work commute alone.

Cheers :thumb:

These engines will easy do 200k+ if you keep them serviced!

30k difference isn't worth mentioning, condition, history and spec is what to look for.

Very low miles for a diesel isn't really a good thing as such, diesels run better when regularly used for long trips rather than once a week to the supermarket and back.

Motorway miles in my 270 easy got above 45mpg

Any links to cars your looking at?

Last edited:
Get a V6 3L CDI, 2005 onwards (facelift) can easily be had in your budget.

sounds lovely and goes quick too!

Cheers :thumb:

These engines will easy do 200k+ if you keep them serviced!

30k difference isn't worth mentioning, condition, history and spec is what to look for.

Very low miles for a diesel isn't really a good thing as such, diesels run better when regularly used for long trips rather than once a week to the supermarket and back.

Motorway miles in my 270 easy got above 45mpg

Any links to cars your looking at?

Thats great to hear they are solid engines, and I thought as much, I've been trying to find ones around 05+ to really avoid that rusting issue.
Otherwise I'm just judging each one, but here's a good example of each.

CLK220
Used Mercedes-benz Clk Coupe 2.1 Clk220 Cdi Sport 2dr in Sunderland, Tyne And Wear | Parklane Car Centre

CLK270
Mercedes-Benz CLK 2.7 CLK270 CDI Avantgarde 2dr

What about the usual replacing of belts and clutches is there a particular mileage that's prone too?

Ill be commuting about 36+ miles a day on the M54/M6 should be worth a diesel, right?

I'm looking for something that I can keep and run without any worries, that's why i'm thinking smaller miles, plus it would be nice to have something worth reselling.

Get a V6 3L CDI, 2005 onwards (facelift) can easily be had in your budget.

sounds lovely and goes quick too!

CLS or CLK?

The 3L is a bit heavy on the insurance for me either way,
But if the price drops that's more money for insurance... Hmmm

Plus engine size and power isn't a biggy for me.

(So many edits probably shouldn't of started this at 1am ;) )

Last edited:
Great cars and I am on my second now. My first was a 270 Diesel but was wrong for me as my commute to work is only 9 miles each way so now have a 350 petrol which is plenty fast enough and returns 25 mpg.
I found the 270 engine very good but needs time to warm up so make sure on any test drive you see the temperature reach 80-90 degrees after about 15 mins driving then turn the heater on full, which will test the thermostat and heater and then check the air con is cold. I had to have a new thermostat in my 270 which cost me £350.
Make sure the wheels are correct size on the car as they are staggered so check the tyre sizes.
Should get a good car for your budget and buy privately if you know your onions which will get you a better deal, and always good to meet the previous owner.

The 270 is a great engine but most will have the prefacelift interior. Post facelift from mid 2004 is better if your budget will allow. Its still a C- class underneath but I agree the quality seems to be a step up with regard to the interior.
Does it have to be a diesel? If you dont do a big mileage the petrol engines are very good and cost less to buy.

270 engine is bullet proof, better economy than the 220 (really!) Due to no DPF and perfect motorway gearing.

£350 for a thermostat change is ridiculous.

Any reasonable diy mechanic can change it in 30 mins and the part itself I'd very cheap from Mercedes.

I had a 52 plate CLK270 cdi.
I sold it just as rust was starting to come through on the rear arches.
It was an OK car but at the end of the day it's just a tarted up C class and it drives as such.

If I were to get one again I would get the latest 270 available.

Excellent feedback and information guys,
Really appreciated.

I see the love for the 270 is strong,
Was curious to see what you guys thought would warrant a Diesel?
I'm looking at 10k miles per year 30 or so Motorway miles per day, Would this be enough to keep a 270 running smooth?

Ill be moving within the next year a little bit closer probably so like 20 or so miles probably 15 or less motorway.

Would i be better off investing in a petrol version of the CLK instead?

P.S. Going out to test drive a nearby CLK220 see what they sound and look like in general, cars are so much grander in person.

The 270 does excel at long motorway journeys but it will still perform well on shorter journeys with a monthly (ish) blast to blow out the cobwebs.
You will not save much by having the diesel over the petrol but the diesel will have better resale value and the petrol engines of this age are no where near as reliable as the 270 cdi.

Luckily the 270 does not have a DPF and doesn't seem to suffer EGR issues as badly as it's smaller and bigger brother.

This was my CLK 270 on my daily morning run into work (I usually hit between 55-60mpg) :

This is the best I ever saw from my previous E220cdi to compare. Exactly the same journey, traffic and driving style.

The 270 does excel at long motorway journeys but it will still perform well on shorter journeys with a monthly (ish) blast to blow out the cobwebs.
You will not save much by having the diesel over the petrol but the diesel will have better resale value and the petrol engines of this age are no where near as reliable as the 270 cdi.

Luckily the 270 does not have a DPF and doesn't seem to suffer EGR issues as badly as it's smaller and bigger brother.

This was my CLK 270 on my daily morning run into work (I usually hit between 55-60mpg) :

This is the best I ever saw from my previous E220cdi to compare. Exactly the same journey, traffic and driving style.

Thank you so much for the picture proof,
Looks like you have a similar length of journey to me so the Diesel looks like its a solid save, but like you mentioned Petrol Vs Diesel prices don't balance out/pay for themselves for 5 years, but at the same time, they hold their value.

Given me a lot to think about here,
Is your E220CDI comparable to the CLK220? is it the same Engine?
I am very sceptical of the DPF and EGR, but I have heard of people getting similar performance out of the CLK220.

That E220cdi has no DPF, the CLK 220 with DPF will be worse.

Given your annual mileage I would go for a petrol engine. Get a 6 cylinder but avoid the 240 as its not as good as the 320 and uses virtually the same amount of fuel. I find our 200K more than adequate but most people would prefer more power I suspect. Try to get one with a build date (not registration date) from last quarter 2003 onwards as they were galvanised and less likely to suffer wheel arch corrosion.

Just went to test drive one near me, CLK220
so smooth, such a nice drive compared to the Corsa I have now...

The MPG was pretty decent on the very short test drive, 28+ rising quickly down some country roads, I have a very light foot, I prefer a smooth ride to a fast one. I reckon it would get close to 35 the way I drive and the roads I take.

I feel as the diesel would be nice for me, its surprisingly quiet and as I've been told, will really hold its value.
Probably should of mentioned that earlier, sorry :p

I should mention the job has some potential travel around the UK and abroad so the diesel would favour that, and that 10k is only my work commute not including the travel and not including personal driving.

I'm more of an online shopper so I'm not one for the city centre but it's a bit early to tell with this job and life change.

I'll have a look at the petrols though, I do plan on keeping this car for a while 3+ years at least, I really like them.

rIWDch9.jpg

Wow, didn't realise my phone takes nice photos (Nexus 5)

Thank you all so much for your honest advice,
Its so hard deciding on cars but glad to see such a solid community here.

Ive got a clk220 cdi sport auto 2007 which has the amg kit, lovely to drive not the most powerful but still has plenty of go if u need it, on a 20 mile trip to work I get 40-45mpg everyday depending on traffic conditions Only paid £7000 for it with 70k on the clock fmbsh so well within ur budget Get out there test drive some then let us know what u buy.

Last edited:
Ive got a clk220 cdi sport auto 2007 which has the amg kit, lovely to drive not the most powerful but still has plenty of go if u need it, on a 20 mile trip to work I get 40-45mpg everyday depending on traffic conditions Only paid £7000 for it with 70k on the clock fmbsh so well within ur budget Get out there test drive some then let us know what u buy.

Thanks for the info Wayne, glad to see you have it and it doesn't feel powerful but I only glanced and I was already at 50 mph so I think its a matter of perspective, but I certainly agree it doesn't feel FAST but it does feel smooth.

Ideally I'd like one with less miles on the clock, but do you have any example repair bills you can post up, would be good to know what sort of things go wrong and what they cost. It doesn't seem too expensive to run if im honest, no more than any other car anyway.

Ours is now almost 12 years old. Had it from new. In that time apart from routine servicing its had a new alarm siren £80 ish, multifunction stalk £135 and a new airbag module - cant remember the price but quite a lot!

Those repairs seem MINIMAL the routine servicing sounds like the pocket burner,
Did you have many things repaired/replaced during them or by routine do you mean it was checked and found faultless?

Thanks again for quick replies :)

You can do most of the servicing yourself.
Oil and filter change for under £50 (i do mine twice a year). Takes 20 minutes.

One thing you may have noticed is that those who have had them or have them, love them. That speaks volumes imho.

Oh and my recommendation.
Facelift
Light colour
Amg sports package
Lots of toys

270 engine if you want diesel.

Cracking car.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom