CLK230 Wheel spin on acceleration-Just the power/conditions or adjust tyre pressure?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
I've got 235/14/17 front and rear.
- Only me in the car.
- 33psi front.
- 35psi rear.
- Tyres: Admiral 712
See post #33: Does anybody know anything about ADMIRAL 712 tyres??? - Page 4 - RAC Motoring Forum

On putting my foot down (not all the way) whilst going at 20mph ish, I get a bit of spin from the back wheels. It was damp (it had rained hours previously).

Is that just-
- the power
- the damp road
- the tyres
- anything that could be attributed to the psi?

Thank you

First instinct is the ditchfinder tyres, in the wet I have to be really hamfisted with 350lbs of Torque and 326HP to get the rear tyres to break traction.

Dave!

Drop them to 30psi and try againalthough i would agree it sounds like the tyres.

Mines fine unless it sees a manhole cover or a pile of leaves.

Lynall

Drop them to 30psi and try againalthough i would agree it sounds like the tyres.

Mines fine unless it sees a manhole cover or a pile of leaves.

Lynall

Thanks I'll drop it to 30 all round and see how it goes.

the traction control not working - did it ever work.

is that comment made on the basis of anything?

Do you mean you got actual wheelspin, or the traction control light came on (i.e. the system stepped in)? Think that's what kth286 was getting at.

I'd personally be suspecting the tyres. IMO no RWD Merc should break traction under the circumstances you describe, unless oil or similar on the road surface..

surely no matter if he was running slicks, the ESP should have kicked in and stopped the spin?

I used to be able to break traction in my 230K with crap tyres because it was manual not automatic, but once eagle F1's were on there it never broke traction.

On saying that, my auto 540i wouldn't break traction with good tyres, even in wet conditions, and its a much more powerful car.

It's an Auto Tip

Yes, the wheels span. Unless it was something else when i put my foot down, but I'm guessing not. It must have been wheelspin.

I didn't see anything flash up on the dash, not that I was staring at the dash at the time.

I'll give it a go again (on a nice large long road) and tell you how it goes. I'll keep an eye on the dash as well.

Would the traction control stop the spin that fast? As soon as i heard/felt the spin my foot came off the accelerator.

Last edited:
It's an Auto Tip

Yes, the wheels span. Unless it was something else when i put my foot down, but I'm guessing not. It must have been wheelspin.

I didn't see anything flash up on the dash, not that I was staring at the dash at the time.

I'll give it a go again (on a nice large long road) and tell you how it goes. I'll keep an eye on the dash as well.

Would the traction control stop the spin that fast? As soon as i heard/felt the spin my foot came off the accelerator.

If I can manage to get a wheel to spin, then the ESP kicks in the second the tyre "gives" most of the time the first you know of the slip is the ESP flashing in the dash.

so i did a little test today.

30 psi all round, slightly damp road.

from standstill, foot to floor the tyres DID slip a little but then the traction control kicked in.

the wheelspin barely lasted a second. i think the cheap tyres are the cause.

This is perfectly normal Ross. You have a very responsive throttle on a 230k and wheelspin at say 60-100% throttle is normal on a wet road.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom