clk270 cdi, manual box hard/stiff in 1st and 2nd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andycapandy

Hi
i have just bought a clk 270cdi 6 speed manual.
The car is perfect but i find 1st and 2nd gears abit hard to put in some times. i think the car is worse in the morning when the oil is thicker. i have done about 500 miles now and the box has jumped out of 1st 3 times, but i think thats is done to me not putting the car in first fully.
My dad has drove the car and says the box is fine, but i just feel it is abit stiff.
Are these manual boxes prone to any faults? the car has done 140k, but comes with fmbsh.
Any idears?
Thanks ANdy

Sounds like the clutch may be dragging a bit causing the gears to be difficult to engage fully.

They are stiff from new. The manual boxes are are renowned for being poor and quite stiff in your model car.

There is a recomended repar to reduce the oil level but it probably does not apply to your car and seldom works anyway.

Hi,
Thanks for the info.
The clutch bites realy low so i am sure thats fine. I noticed today that there seems a bit of movement when i gears so i am thinking that maybe there is some play in the linkages which i will check out and report back.
This morning was very hard to get into first, but after 5 mins it is alot better. I am getting used to it, Just a bit of a a pain.
Thanks Andy

Is it easier to get into gear with the car switched off? If it is your clutch plate could be on its way out.

I have used Slick50 gearbox treatment on notchy/stiff boxes before with good results - I don't see why this should be OK , but like everything else Mercedes there will probably be a reason why you shouldn't use it .

Cheers for the advice.
not had chance to look yet but stated to think everything was ok, then today it jumped out of 1st gear within 2 miles, and then does not do it again. It always does it stright away, not under a hard load. just as soon as you are to set of it pops stright out, sometimes witha bang. thats why i am starting to think it is something to do with not going in proper, rather than a fault with the box as when you have set of in first, it would never jump out as lonmg as it did'nt do it at the very first point (does all that make sense?)
will try and get under the car soon and will let you know what i find out.
Thanks Andy

i have also read that manual CLK's have rubbish boxes... it doesnt surprise me really, a lot of Mercedes manual boxes have been notchy over the years... thats why most are autos!

i certainly do not agree to that.
Mercedes do not have rubbish manual boxes, and most are autos because people ask for that.
Notchy does not mean rubbish. Mine is absolutely spot on.

well i would tend not to agree... my w123 box is not exactly great and no newer cars ive ever driven have been any better... ive always found W202/SLK/CLK boxes too tight and have read negative reviews about many other models too...

mercedes just dont seem to pay as much attention to manual as other manufacturers..
Golf's for example had fantastic 6 speed boxes before 1999..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom