Clk270cdi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peterg1965

MB Enthusiast
Car
2019 Audi Q7, 2018 Mini Cooper S, 2016 Porsche 718 Boxster S
yet another post - sorry!

Yesterday I was looking at C Class Coupes, I like them but my search revealed some lovely CLKs too. Bit more pricey but lovely cars. Have done a bit of research on here and they seem to be a decent car. I found this one quite close to me and I like it!

http://search.autotrader.co.uk/es-u...el=CLK&min_pr=&max_pr=13000&max_mileage=80000

Is the price about right for its age and miles? I like the dark exterior, but prefer jaspar Blue.

Pete

That looks a really nice car, the black paint, biege leather and elegance wood trim are a very classy combination.

I got an 05 CLK270 about 8 weeks ago.
I'm well pleased with it but as winter descends it is VERY noisy when cold for about the first 4 miles and I don't think the fuel economy is particularly great.

Driving it very gently I have averaged 30mpg in 2 months. On a long run I get 45mpg. Most of my driving is moderate speed town/country driving. I average 23mph. I do have 18" AMG's on it and I know they make a difference.

My '95 BMW 520i returned 23mpg when hustled but 30mpg tootling about the same way as I drive the Merc.
Knowing what I know now I would love to try a Petrol version for an extended period to see what the real difference is.

The heated seats are fantastic though and it is a very nice place to be.
If you don't need access to the rear seats very often then the CLK is the business.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Link doesn't work :confused:

Is that true having 18 inch AMG wheels fitted affected your fuel consumption.

Jim.

Is that true having 18 inch AMG wheels fitted affected your fuel consumption.

Jim.

I'm not sure but I'll know more after next weekend when I put on a set of 16" wheels with 205/55/16 winter tyres. I'll run them until the weather heats up a little.

I'm not sure but I'll know more after next weekend when I put on a set of 16" wheels with 205/55/16 winter tyres. I'll run them until the weather heats up a little.

Will be good to know, I put a set of 18s on mine the week after I bought it and they will be staying on but it will give me something to moan about. :)

Jim.

I got an 05 CLK270 about 8 weeks ago.
I'm well pleased with it but as winter descends it is VERY noisy when cold for about the first 4 miles and I don't think the fuel economy is particularly great.

Driving it very gently I have averaged 30mpg in 2 months. On a long run I get 45mpg. Most of my driving is moderate speed town/country driving. I average 23mph. I do have 18" AMG's on it and I know they make a difference.

My '95 BMW 520i returned 23mpg when hustled but 30mpg tootling about the same way as I drive the Merc.
Knowing what I know now I would love to try a Petrol version for an extended period to see what the real difference is.

The heated seats are fantastic though and it is a very nice place to be.
If you don't need access to the rear seats very often then the CLK is the business.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

I have an 2003 CLK 270 Cdi. Driven gently I have obtained 51 mpg at 83 mph (on the autobahn of course). In mixed driving I average 45 mph when the car has warmed up. I have 17 inch Mercedes alloys

Before I bought it, I had read that 50mpg was achievable and that 40mpg would be a good average if not driven hard.

Recently I filled it with diesel and took it for an 80 mile trip up the motorway at 60-65 mph. Did what I had to do and then back down mainly at 60 but not exceeding 70mph (the company was paying for my time so why not). Filled up again and it worked out at 45.5mpg.
Now that was a really slow 160 mile trip. I felt like I needed slippers, a cardigan and a pipe - although I didn't get any points so a bonus there then.
What do I need to do to get 50mpg?

My general day to day use is up and down hills with start/stop so 30 although poor is acceptable. Having said that I would stick by my original quote and not discount petrol.

Use Cruise Control if on the motorway

NO!!! you can get better MPG without CC (says I cautiously).

I'll second. If economy is your priority, DO NOT use CC. A gentle right foot is what is required. You can afford to speed up to 80-85, but get there gently. It is hard acceleration that kills economy.

BTW, I doubt you will get 50mpg on a C270 on a brim-to-brim calculation in normal driving. You will if you exclusively do a motorway run.

I'll second. If economy is your priority, DO NOT use CC. A gentle right foot is what is required. You can afford to speed up to 80-85, but get there gently. It is hard acceleration that kills economy.

Speeding up to 80-85 instead of say 60 does usually increase consumption. Losses due to drag and friction go up.

And hard acceleration in principle should not affect economy. It is *unnecessary* acceleration that is the economy killer. Usually those who do a lot of hard acceleration end up braking more too - and that probably has a greater impact on economy.

And as for CC. I make no comment. It's been beaten to death on the forum and the dogmatists (IMHO:)) will say don't use it and the pragmatists will say do use it.

was getting 46mpg at 80 cruise set tonight in my E320 cdi ;)

All my best mpg figures have been cruise set.

My best was 67mpg in my C270cdi

was getting 46mpg at 80 cruise set tonight in my E320 cdi ;)

All my best mpg figures have been cruise set.

My best was 67mpg in my C270cdi

Impressive figures fuzzer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom