CLK280/350

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

aybracers

SUPPORTER
Car
C250Saloon,C200 Estate
The dilemma of moving on!

I've just sold my pride and joy C124 E320 coupe as I live in London and next year it will cost a lot of money just to take it off the drive.

I have a W204 as a day to day driver but thought about a 6 Cylinder CLK as my weekend fun car and fancied a face lift petrol model.

This presents another dilemma as the ones that avoid the high Excise duty (Registered before 23rd March 2006) all fall into the balancer shaft problem group and all the ones beyond the problem attract tax of £565 per year.

All the private ads for nice spec. petrol CLK's are very overpriced compared to trade ones. That is quite risky as there is no liability or warranty but I have bought the last few Mercedes week-end/play cars privately.

There are a few non Sport CLK 280's for sale where the emissions come in just under the 225 grams tax change point but I think I may be disappointed with one of those after 6 years of creamy smooth M104 power.

There must be earlier M272 engined CLK's that have been fixed but it seems impossible to find out despite many having good MB service. Plus, there is the potential worry that a W203 based Coupe will not be satisfactory after driving a W204 model daily.

My local independent MB technician advised to buy the best spec./well maintained example I can find as apart from well known M272 problems and 7G conductor plates there are plenty of electrical problems lurking.

If I do want to go for a late CLK I may have to just bite the bullet and pay the high road tax.

Any thoughts/advice please

There are also some cases of rear subframe failures coming through on the 2007-2009 ish years . May be a bargaining point if it looks a little rusty down there

How about an SLK instead of a CLK? I have a 2008 SLK280 with a lovely V6 petrol 3L engine well after the balance shaft etc issues! RF is about £345pa and purchase price was well under 5 figures, and it has leather, Comand, airscarf, only thing missing I'd have liked is memory seats - plus it's not silver or black!! Another much cheaper option - I know of a nice SLK320 privately available near J26M25 (first owner James Dyson's chief engineer!!), mechanically superb, nice silver with a blue tinge, PM me your email if interested as I have the build sheet and a couple of photos.

Thanks Chris,

Getting too old to get down into a SLK. Proved that 2 years ago with my expensive 129 flirtation

Thanks Wighty,

I knew about the subframe issue on pre face lift 204's - Ollie told me. Never hear about it affecting CLK's

We'd had Porsche 968's for 20 years as the toy, initially a coupe for 12 1/2 years then a cab for another 8, moved to an SLK because we had problems with dodgy backs getting in and out of the cab's sports seats especially with the roof up. Took time to find an SLK that ticked almost all the boxes, but switched last November and find access and egress OK, especially as the doors on the SLK are about a foot or more longer than the 968 cab. My only option really for a convertible was an SLK as my garage is rather short, so I could not look at an SL or CLK, but as we get to know the SLK we're really starting to enjoy it, especially the V6 petrol compared to the IL4 of the 968. You should try one - but be careful about the engine number of the V6 petrol (which applies to the CLK as well as the SLK!).

I had the same dilemma when I bought my CLK350 in 2014/15. I went for a late 2008 model in the best condition and 30k miles. Engine well outside the danger zone for balance shaft. Sod the extra RFL. It’s bugger all for peace of mind and reliability. In the 5-6 years I’ve had it I have had no major issues at all. Brilliant car.

A CLS 350 petrol with CGI not only gets you beyond the balance shaft numbers but also cheaper road tax £325 ish bracket. Just a thought, they are big but ride superbly. Available in 2007-2009 vintages I think.

Pay the extra tax, not much monthly over 12 months

I would find a 500 with the M113.

Honestly although they are very nice cars, I think you might find a V6 CLK underwhelming after the E320. The straight six is silky smooth and the 124 feels so much more special.

E320 190 HP? CLK 230HP and is lighter than the E class.

Life is too short to worry about everything just buy what you like and enjoy it! Thats what i did 8 years ago and i have no complaint's.

Tony.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom